As the part-time Digital Content Producer, you will be responsible for writing and curating content for the Portland Timbers and Thorns websites. You will bring a sparkling and engaging written voice, a deep knowledge of soccer, and a confident authority to everything we produce. You will work closely with the Timbers and Thorns’ content team to tell vivid stories about our players and clubs, keeping our story feeds fresh with profiles, interviews, breaking news, game analysis, previews, recaps, press conference videos and transcripts, and longform features.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Content Strategy, you will administer and maintain content in the CMS, writing, posting, and/or proofreading new stories, writing catchy headlines, descriptions, and captions, and ensuring every new piece is clean and conforms to the content strategy, style guide, and our editorial best practices. This position will be required to be present at most Portland Timbers and Thorns matches—as weekly hours allow—with possible away game travel to be planned in advance.
- Write and edit captivating stories, listicles, interviews, and other articles for the Timbers and Thorns websites
- Conceive and pitch new story ideas, brainstorming new ways for fans to connect with our players
- Copyedit, format, and publish content ensuring that all stories we publish are accurate, engaging, and on-brand
- Attend team trainings and press conferences for both teams, as often as time and deadlines allow
- Maintain, format, and post content in the CMS, adhering strictly to our editorial style guide and best practices
- Write and post content on matchdays, keeping our site and app feed fresh and timely with highlights, previews, analysis, recaps, press conference videos and transcripts
- Act as quality control for new written content, ensuring everything we post is sparklingly clean, properly formatted, and meets the clubs’ editorial standards
- Stay up to date on Timbers and Thorns news and happenings, as well as general trends in MLS and soccer
Hours: 29 hours a week, part-time
Availability: This position will need to be available in the evenings and the weekends for games
- 3+ years’ experience editing and writing in a formal capacity, with an ability to turn around superb copy quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish close working relationships with players, coaching staff and front office colleagues alike
- Comfort working under deadline and writing time-sensitive news stories, and ability to juggle multiple writing projects at once
- Superior organizational habits and strong attention to detail
- Proficiency in MS office applications, Adobe Photoshop. Familiarity with project management systems a bonus.
- Tech and software savviness, and a basic understanding of CMS and website administration, and a self-motivated eagerness to fill in the gaps in your knowledge
- Passion for and knowledge of soccer
- Fluency in Spanish a bonus
- Bachelor’s degree required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.