Major League Soccer (MLS) and its Teams Jobs!
Los Angeles Football Club
Los Angeles, CA
Legal: General Counsel/Contractual Law
Los Angeles Football Club is Major League Soccer’s newest team in Los Angeles, set to debut in 2018. We are developing a world-class, forward-thinking sports organization to bring the fastest growing professional sport in America to one of the largest and most diverse markets in the world. Our primary initiatives include: designing and building our stadium, developing all facets of our brand, engaging with our community and developing our sporting team and youth programs. We are looking to grow our high-caliber, diverse team with creative and hard-working individuals who have a passion for sports, entertainment, and many of the lifestyle elements that the beautiful game touches.
This position is responsible for providing legal support, advice, and drafting expertise to LAFC. The Legal Counsel prepares, reviews, and negotiates a wide variety of agreements and provides support on various department projects.
- Prepare, draft, review, and negotiate a variety of legal documents, including, but not limited to, sponsorship agreements, sales agreements, vendor/service agreements, facility operation agreements, employment agreements, broadcast agreements, license agreements etc.
- Perform analysis of rules, regulations, and policies applicable to the Company’s operation, including those of MLS, US Soccer Federation and FIFA, and advising the company’s General Counsel on interpretation and compliance.
- Administer, maintain and develop contract and legal matter management and archival system.
- Assist with the development of template documents, compliance procedures and policies to ensure efficient management of legal matters.
- Advise legal department and management on risk management and corporate governance issues.
- Aid in the management and resolution of disputes, litigation, and regulatory matters on an as needed basis and with outside counsel, as applicable.
- Provide rights clearance support to marketing and communication team.
- Stay up to date on industry-wide legal trends, developments and best practices in order to provide counsel and manage legal exposure.
- Provide miscellaneous administrative and event day support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by company’s General Counsel or senior management.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Law Degree from an accredited College/University required.
- Member of the California bar in good standing required.
- Minimum of 3-4 years of experience practicing corporate, transactional, and/or sports and entertainment law. Mix of law firm and in-house legal department experience preferred.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and self-starter.
- Detail oriented with excellent multitasking and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build positive relationships across all levels.
- Exceptional communication (both oral and written) and drafting skills.
- Must have sound legal judgement and strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to identify issues.
- Demonstrated ability to develop practical, business-minded solutions that support business strategy and key initiatives.
- Ability to work efficiently and multi-task in an unstructured environment with frequent interruptions and demanding deadlines.
- Must be reliable, trustworthy and able to maintain high confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs – specifically Excel, Power Point, and Outlook.
- Willingness to work a flexible and dynamic work schedule with the ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
LAFC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
LAFC recruitment policies are designed to place the most highly qualified persons available in a timely and efficient manner. LAFC may pursue all avenues available, including promotion from within, employee referrals, outside advertising, employment agencies, Internet recruiting, job fairs, college recruiting and search firms.
Applicants for employment in the U.S. must possess work authorization, which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa.
How did you hear about this job?