The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) is an MLS soccer club serving the greater Los Angeles area. LAFC is dedicated to building a world-class soccer club that represents the diversity of Los Angeles and is committed to delivering an unrivaled experience for fans. LAFC’s ownership group is comprised of local leaders and innovators of industry with intellectual capital, financial prowess, operations expertise, and success in the fields of entertainment, sports, technology, and media. LAFC is invested in the world’s game and Los Angeles, constructing, and developing the 22,000 seat BMO Stadium and a top-flight training center on the campus of Cal-State Los Angeles.
FOUNDATION MISSION STATEMENT:
The LAFC Foundation furthers our Club’s mission of uniting the world’s city through the world’s game, bringing joy to the people, and being a force for good in our community by supporting critical programs and bringing the indomitable Black and Gold spirit wherever we go.
The LAFC Foundation services its mission through strategic grants to aligned nonprofits, facilitating programming directly, building – in partnership with US Soccer Foundation and Major League Soccer – Futsal courts on school and community sites, and engaging our players, employees and fan community into our impactful work. We are seeking a Director to lead these day-to-day operations, as well as serve as a key player for fundraising and board engagement. This role is responsible for enhancing the mission, vision, and values of the Foundation, and serves as a key ambassador with nonprofit partners and community stakeholders.
- Identify, develop and lead activation for all Foundation programs and partnerships including, but not limited to:
- Local school district, parks and recreation and after school programs
- Los Angeles-based social impact programs that support success off the field
- Safe Places to Play initiatives including Futsal Court builds and programming
- Community sports programming
- Serve as lead with our Foundation Board on all recommendations and reporting related to grants and projects
- Effectively carry out all approved grants and programs with focus and an eye toward deep impact
- Develop rigorous evaluations with aligned impact metrics
- Support all budgeting, tax and compliance requirements to ensure our Foundation maintains good standing
- Keep an eye toward continuous improvement, making recommendations to strategically grow the Foundation’s giving portfolio, prioritizing quality and alignment, and maximizing benefit to the community
- Support annual strategic planning process
- Implement methods and processes to support grantmaking, including, but not limited to:
- Maintain an up-to-date tracking platform that follows all giving, in kind support, social impact efforts, cause-related brand partnerships, volunteerism, etc
- Develop and implement metrics to track and report progress
- Provide program analysis to all key supporting partners
- Support fundraising goals, including but not limited to:
- In partnership with board and ownership group and LAFC executive team, aid in securing financial support from foundations, corporate partners and individual donors
- In partnership with staff and board, manage all annual fundraising campaigns and special events, including running point with any external vendors
- Maintain all reporting and communication related to donor solicitation
- Provide current donors with clear and organized data on the efficacy and quality of the work
- Build strategic partnerships with key potential funders, including community foundations and other relevant granting entities
- Increase awareness of the Foundation by ensuring all related programmatic and communications strategies bolster LAFC’s mission and deepen storytelling through all platforms including website, social media and PR
- Author the Foundation’s annual report
- Manage relationships with external partners, donors and community organizations at the highest level of ambassadorship
- Lead a high-performing Foundation team by identifying and retaining staff and providing clear performance objectives and regular feedback
- Other duties as assigned
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year College or University required, with a related advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in nonprofit, philanthropy either within a corporation or foundation, and/or related experience within government required; professional sports team experience a plus.
- Experience successfully engaging with C-Suite leadership and Board members.
- Expertise in strategic and impactful grant making, including a fluency in grants management platforms (i.e. CyberGrants, Benevity, etc.).
- Must have equal parts passion and pragmatism, with a belief in the power of philanthropy to make meaningful, measurable impact guided by LAFC’s vision and commitment to the community.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment, managing multiple projects and priorities with keen attention to detail.
- Must be a team player who functions well in both a leadership and supporting role as needed.
- Ability to “roll up your sleeves” with a proven ability to get the job done.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, with particular emphasis on: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Flexible work schedule with the ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
$90k - $110k
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
LAFC strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
LAFC recruitment policies are designed to place the most highly qualified persons available in a timely and efficient manner. LAFC may pursue all avenues available, including promotion from within, employee referrals, outside advertising, employment agencies, Internet recruiting, job fairs, college recruiting and search firms.
Applicants for employment in the U.S. must possess work authorization, which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa.