Director of Content Strategy with FC Cincinnati in Cincinnati · OH
FC Cincinnati jobs
Sports Jobs in Cincinnati · OH
Communications/Community Relations: Head of Web/Media Content
Job Title: Director of Content Strategy
Department: Brand Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Chief Marketing Officer
About FC Cincinnati
FC Cincinnati is a professional soccer team that plays in Major League Soccer, having entered the league as its 24th team in 2019. The club’s wide and diverse ownership group is led by controlling owner Carl H. Lindner III; as well as managing owners Meg Whitman and Dr. Griff Harsh; Scott Farmer; and George Joseph. MLS invited Cincinnati to the league as an expansion team in May 2018, giving the club one of the fastest run-ups to its first-division launch in league history – 277 days from invitation to its first game. The team has played its home games at the historic Nippert Stadium on the campus of the University of Cincinnati, while its new soccer-specific stadium is constructed in the West End neighborhood of Cincinnati.
When the West End Stadium opens in Spring 2021, FC Cincinnati’s future home is expected to be one of the most ambitious soccer-specific stadiums in not only North America, but the world. The $250 million, privately funded stadium will have a 26,000 capacity, with the closest seats within 15 feet of the field. The design includes 53 traditional suites and 4,500 premium seats throughout four premium club spaces. Additionally, the team’s famous supporters’ section, The Bailey, will grow to be more than 3,100 strong and loom over opponents at a 34-degree angle at the stadium’s north end. West End Stadium will meet all current requirements to host CONCACAF and FIFA events, featuring top national teams from around the world, including the U.S. Men’s and Women’s National Teams, as well as the world’s top club teams for friendlies.
The Director of Content Strategy will be the club’s leader of all FC Cincinnati content initiatives, and a vital part of the FC Cincinnati Brand Marketing & Communications team. The successful candidate will lead the team’s content strategy across all platforms and create work that positively highlights all areas of the club, including its on-field performance (first team, Academy, affiliates), as well as all of its business units/initiatives/corporate partnerships and other interests central to the club (construction projects, women’s soccer, etc.). His or her work will be expected to generate positive engagement for the club while also contributing to its overall revenue-generating and reputational activities.
The Director of Content Strategy must have exceptionally strong communication and organizational skills and be deadline-driven in execution. Creativity, strong attention to detail, dedication, hard work and passion for soccer are paramount to success in the position. A strong understanding and familiarity with key content strategy management – including insights-based decision-making, CMS capabilities, photo, video, graphics (still and motion) and writing skills – are necessary to aid in the oversight of the staff.
- Lead the team’s content strategy and planning initiatives, reporting to the club’s Chief Marketing Officer
- Drive the organization content strategy, ideation, planning, and execution while keeping the club’s core values and goals in focus
- Platforms for publishing include website, mobile application (launching in 2021), email, broadcast and newsletters, plus integrated other emerging technologies and internal constituents
- Prioritize projects so all departments, initiatives and goals are reached in the most efficient manner
- Work collaboratively with the sponsorship and ticketing departments to optimize channel performance
- Working with all departments, align the club’s external facing narratives with internal goals and priorities
- Ensure all content increases interest and engagement for the club and raises the education level of its fans
- Collaborate with other departments to develop narratives that fulfill club goals and relationships, specifically relating to sponsorships, partnership marketing, retail, community relations and marketing fulfillment
- Work collaboratively to set the team’s content strategy and work with staff to meet the club’s established KPI goals and other business needs, allowing for ongoing refinement as necessary
- Provide educated council to other departments in terms of leveraging content to meet their business or campaign needs, including making recommendations on promoted/sponsored social posts, budgets and audiences
- Work collaboratively with all departments to ensure a cohesive fan voice across all channels
- Regularly work with the digital team to update the team’s website, app, and other digital properties
- Manage a team that is responsible for PR, digital channels, and website
- Represent the club at league and federation events as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Marketing Officer
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to excel in the position:
- Experience setting and maintaining multi-channel content strategies
- Experience working with and maintaining a team website
- Expertise in managing messaging and social media platforms for a sports or entertainment entity
- Experience working closely with ticketing and sponsorship departments to develop engaging and sellable content
- A record of success in increasing engagement and growth in key tracking metrics
- Creative and strategic thinker
- Experience working with content producers to ideate, pitch, and develop new narratives
- Efficient worker who can lead multiple projects and keep all projects on time and budget
- Ability to collaborate efficiently with other department leaders
- Represent the club in ethical and professional manners at all times
- Strong proofreading skills
- Knowledge of, and interest in, soccer and sports, as well as pop culture
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere and After Effects
- Experience with Gum Gum, Hootsuite, Twitter’s business platform, Facebook Business Manager – plus best-practices maximizing reach and revenue goals
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience planning and executing content for a team, league, entertainment or sports content organization
- Minimum 5 years' experience leveraging insights to drive strategy
- Minimum 5 years managing a team
Match Day Responsibilities and Work Hours
The Director of Content Strategy will have professional obligations for every FC Cincinnati game during the season, including preseason, regular-season, postseason and in-season tournaments. Additionally, any special events hosted by the club – including international friendlies – could be included.
In addition to normal business hours, weekend, evening and holiday work will be required as schedule and project workload dictates. Travel, including international, is required.
Instructions to Apply
Please apply through TeamWorkOnline.com and in a single PDF that you upload include a cover letter, resume, references and several work samples, which can include links to social accounts managed (dates and/or specific campaigns must be noted), videos or graphics produced, photo galleries, or other published content. In addition, please indicate if you are a West End neighborhood, Cincinnati, OH resident.
FC Cincinnati is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How did you hear about this job?
Are you a current resident of the West End Neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio?
What is your salary range?