Chicago Fire Football Club is a Major League Soccer team that was founded in 1997. The Club returned to Soldier Field as well as opened a new 50,000 square foot business office in the heart of the city. With tremendous growth and expansion, the Club is laying the foundation for an ambitious vision that will transform the Club in the coming years.
The Chicago Fire FC is seeking its next leader of People & Culture who will be responsible for further developing, aligning, and executing human resources strategies. The VP of People & Culture must be able to understand and navigate the sporting and business sides of a multicultural sports organization and demonstrate a work history that diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives. This position will oversee all aspects of human resources including strategy, employee relations, recruitment, performance management, payroll, succession planning, internal DEI initiatives, organizational change, employee engagement activities, ensuring legal labor and employment compliance, benefits administration, compensation, and training and development. The individual selected must be “hands-on” with a demonstrated ability to successfully innovate and work in a dynamic, progressive, and collaborative professional sports organization.
- Strategize with senior leaders and implement a strategic human resources plan and support people leaders to integrate into an overall business plan.
- Collaborate, advise, and influence leadership by establishing credibility, trust, and rapport throughout the organization to be an effective listener and problem-solver of business and people issues.
- Collaborate with senior leaders and staff to lead and implement diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts internally to ensure DEI goals are prioritized to support the Fire’s strategic business plan; and vision, mission, and values. Identify, develop, execute, and measure diversity and inclusion strategies and programming.
- Partner with key stakeholders across the organization to deliver an equity-centered approach to all stages of the employee lifecycle including recruitment, hiring, onboarding, training, development, and conflict resolution to drive Club culture
- Focus on culture through defining and implementing strong practices and processes in talent management and development, organizational design, performance management, coaching, retention, and engagement of staff.
- Provide counsel to colleagues and management on employment issues, in conjunction with the Legal Department as needed. Assure compliance with federal and state labor and employment laws to minimize risk/exposure to the company and coordinate all required compliance activities in partnership with the Legal Department. Conduct investigations, provide guidance on performance matters, facilitate the resolution of disputes, interpret company policy, etc.
- Ensure HR staff has relationships with colleagues at all levels to become trusted advisors, advocates, and coaches for managers in order to prevent or troubleshoot problems and direct colleague relations issues to a successful resolution.
- Leverage HR analytics data in support of decision-making in the areas of recruitment, talent management, colleague engagement, DEI, performance, and retention.
- Evaluate and improve upon HR processes and metrics, with a consistent focus to streamline and automate existing processes.
- Oversee payroll administration with support from the Finance department.
- Oversee human resources and headcount budgeting in partnership with the CFO.
- Lead the ongoing design, development, and execution of initiatives, programs, processes, and policies that deliver a top-notch work environment and company culture, such as new hire onboarding, training, and development programs to improve staff skills, leadership competencies, communication, and organizational effectiveness.
- Analyze and evaluate the retention, performance, and workforce productivity of the employee base identifying root causes and making recommendations for improvement.
- Direct and guide training and development ensuring alignment with the company’s strategies and objectives.
- Monitor learning and development outcomes and make interventions to improve results.
- Develop people-related communications programs, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality, discretion, and sensitivity to all HR-related matters and information.
- Provide support and development to HR staff through performance management, coaching, training, motivation, and discipline where appropriate.
- Maintain a working knowledge of relevant regulatory issues, professional or industry substantive codes, and of federal and state laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related discipline.
- 10+ years of progressive human resources experience including a 7-year track record of success as a Human Resources leader.
- Proven successful experience collaborating, implementing, leading, and managing diversity, equity, and inclusion programs and growth.
- Background in the Sports Industry is strongly preferred.
- Possess advanced cultural competence skillset.
- Strong understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures; and thorough knowledge of relevant employment laws and compliance parameters.
- Knowledge of Paycom or other HRIS programs a plus.
- Change management experiences, such as workplace transformation and organization design, focusing on the people side of change preferred.
- Able to work autonomously on all aspects of executing the responsibilities of the position.
- Effective judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to effectively gain the trust of multiple stakeholders across the company, while able to identify opportunities that add value to the company.
- Strong leadership skills, including excellent written and oral communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with a keen attention to detail, and proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to execute strategically and tactically across the organization.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with quick deadlines and multiple demands.
- Must be able to work with confidential information and exercise good judgment and discretion.
- Must be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19
- Chicago Fire FC is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion. Our diversity initiatives start with the recruitment and selection process; therefore, we’d like to welcome all diverse candidates to apply to opportunities within our Club.
- CFFC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and maintaining a workplace for employees and applicants for employment that is free from discrimination. The Company does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, age, veteran or military status, disability, sexual orientation, sexual orientation or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
- If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact the Human Resources Department at [email protected] to let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.