*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Columbus Crew is seeking a knowledgeable and highly skilled strength and conditioning coach to support the delivery of weight room and specific field performance qualities. Essential duties include, but are not limited to, design and implementation of strength and conditioning programming, management of sports science technologies, data collection and entry, ongoing physical performance testing, gym return to play programming, and physical preparation/recovery implementations. This position reports directly to and works in coordination with the Director of Performance, as well as collaborating with other member of performance staff as needed daily.
- Work directly with Director of Performance to ensure a unified approach of club philosophy within departments.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills required to work effectively with players, coaches, team personnel and MLS staff.
- Deliver dynamic, high-performance strategies to foster a competitive, nurturing training environment for athlete and coach success.
- Knowledgeable and effective utilization of applied science technologies for ongoing assessment and analysis of identified player KPI’s (Ex: Force Plate, Velocity Based Training Systems, GPS, speed development, power assessment, etc.).
- Lead weight room-based Return to Play progressions by developing clear framework to include consistent biofeedback (Force Plate, VBT, GPS, etc.) for athletic performance.
- Manage analytic platforms for digital storing of performance data to enhance the efficiency and productivity of player management.
- Collaborate with Data Analytics to identify meaningful trends in sports performance and provide solutions-based practices.
- Collaborate with club Fitness and Rehabilitation Coach to provide relevant interventions as needed.
- Coordinate with club Dietician to provide relevant interventions for overall performance success.
- Assist second team Strength and Conditioning Coach with performance application principles and weight room training as needed.
- Educate and counsel players regarding strategies to improve performance.
- Comply with all MLS medical policies, protocol, and Game Operations Manuals.
- Maintain the appearance and organization of equipment, as well as educate and enforce weight room rules.
Requirements & Education Experience
- Minimum three (3) years of full-time experience at the professional level.
- Experience working with soccer is preferred, but not required.
- Master’s Degree in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Education, or related field.
- CSCS Certification by the NSCA, AND/OR SCCC Certification by the CSCCa OR PES Advanced Certification by the NASM.
- Current CPR/First Aid certification
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the implementation of strength and conditioning programming for athletes through multiple training ages at the youth, collegiate, and professional level.
- Proven ability in the following areas: strength training, Olympic lifting, plyometrics, speed training, energy system development, flexibility, recovery, injury prevention methodologies, nutrition, performance science and analytics.
- Experience in utilizing sports science platforms such as GPS, Force Plate, and Velocity Based Training systems.
- Experience with yoga and Pilates is preferred, but not required.
- Strong ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage many projects
- Passionate and enthusiastic manner that has a proven history of motivating professional athletes
- Fluency in second language preferred (preferably Spanish, Portuguese or French)
- Computer skills necessary in MS Office, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook.
- Must be willing to travel for business – weekend work and travel is necessary.