*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Austin FC joined Major League Soccer in January 2019 as the league’s 27th member club and will officially begin play in MLS in 2021 in a new, state-of-the-art 20,500-seat soccer stadium and public park scheduled to open during Austin FC’s inaugural season.
The Austin FC is actively seeking a highly qualified, multi-skilled Head Athletic Trainer to work as part of the high performance department and who will coordinate and administer a comprehensive athletic training program for an MLS franchise. This will position will also perform professional and administrative services essential for the successful implementation and development of the program.
This unique role to help build a major league property and establish the core identity of a major league brand from the earliest stages is a once-in-a-lifetime and career-defining opportunity. The position is based in Austin, TX. Austin was selected by U.S. News and World Report in each of the last three years as the No. 1 place in the nation to live, while Forbes placed it at the top of its “Cities of the Future” list.
Are You Someone That:
- Is motivated to assist athletes to realize their potential?
- Possesses a strong understanding of sports-related injuries treatments and rehab methods?
- Uses qualitative and quantitative data to inform solutions?
- Is detail-oriented, analytical, and attentive?
- Enjoys working as a positive and collaborative team player to meet goals?
- Is agile and able to respond effectively to the changing needs of a fast-paced growing organization?
- Provide athletic training management for Austin FC, including attendance at scheduled team practices and home and away competitions as necessary; and
- Administer and manage all pre-practice/game athletic requirements including taping of players, therapeutic modalities, and medications; and
- Assist and aid in therapy and treatment of all injured athletes as required by the Director of Sports Medicine; and
- Perform management of acute injury and first response post-injury. The Head ATC should coordinate and communicate with doctors during these times and create an Emergency Action Plan (EAP) in conjunction with medical doctors when necessary; and
- Coordinate attendance of essential athletic training staff and part-time therapists to cover all team practices, athletic competitions, and recovery sessions; and
- Assist High Performance Director and Director of Sports Medicine in the development of the sports medical program budget; and
- Manage all general medication required for the players of Austin FC, including prescription medication, as well as OTCs. The Head ATC will remain in constant communication with the doctors regarding daily dosages and player needs; and
- Evaluate and recommend new training room equipment that would enhance the benefit of the sports medical program; and
- Manage all record keeping and documentation utilizing the league’s HealtheAthlete (or other provider) database, as well as meet all health insurance documentation required by the MLS and their affiliates; and
- Coordinate and schedule physical examinations with the appointed team physicians at appropriate times of the year; and
- Coordinate and schedule all massage therapy, chiropractic sessions, and outside medical providers as required by Austin FC players.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Athletic Training, Masters in Athletic Training or Physical Therapy preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years professional or college experience, preferably with experience in soccer
- Certified by BOC, State Athletic Training Licensure and a current CPR certification
- Demonstrated experience working with athletes, preferably in soccer with a passion for sports.
- Strong understanding of the challenges athletes face, proper nutrition, sports injuries, and treatment options
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively using a variety of media with diverse audiences
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, knowledge of current technologies and commitment to remain up to date with industry best practices
- High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
- English and/or Spanish language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better
- It is the policy of Austin FC not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
- All selected candidates are subject to passing a background check prior to employment
- Hours are variable and can easily include early mornings, evenings, weekends and some holidays in addition to the traditional Monday through Friday hours.