*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Austin FC joined Major League Soccer in January 2019 as the league’s 27th member club and will officially begin play in MLS in 2021 in a new, state-of-the-art 20,500-seat soccer stadium and public park scheduled to open during Austin FC’s inaugural season.
The Austin FC Academy is actively seeking a highly qualified, multi-skilled Athletic Trainer to work as part of a collaborative inter-professional team to support elite-level youth soccer players on and off the pitch during the 2020-2021 season and seasons thereafter.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for working with medical professionals, performance staff, coaches and athletes to ensure that players are ready to play and receive proper treatment in the event of illness or injury.
This unique role to help build a major league property and establish the core identity of a major league brand from the earliest stages is a once-in-a-lifetime and career-defining opportunity. The position is based in Austin, TX. Austin was selected by U.S. News and World Report in each of the last four years as the No. 1 place in the nation to live, while Forbes placed it at the top of its “Cities of the Future” list.
Are You Someone That:
- Is motivated to assist athletes, coaches and families to realize their potential?
- Possesses a strong understanding of sports-related injuries and treatments?
- Uses qualitative and quantitative data to inform solutions?
- Is detail-oriented, analytical, and attentive?
- Enjoys working as a positive team player to meet goals?
- Is agile and able to respond effectively to the changing needs of a fast-paced growing organization?
- Collaborate with coaches, athletes, performance staff, and medical professionals to evaluate the player condition; and
- Gain exposure to high level youth soccer Academy players and coaches; and
- Communicate with coaches, family members, and athletes about wellness and performance goals; and
- Design injury mitigation and rehabilitation programs for athletes; and
- Use knowledge of sports-related injuries to diagnose and treat athletes; and
- Refer athletes to team doctor or other medical staff members when necessary; and
- Assist and monitor injured players as they heal and progress towards recovery; and
- Participate in a minimum of two practices per week (evening sessions); and
- Participate in all games which take place on Saturdays and/or Sundays (approximately 15 in a season).
- Demonstrated experience and expertise working with youth athletes, preferably in soccer with a passion for sports
- Experience working for a Major League Soccer organization a plus
- Demonstrated experience working with youth, collegiate, professional and/or elite-level athletes is preferred
- Strong understanding of the challenges that athletes face, sports injuries, and treatment options
- Demonstrate ability to discuss nutrition, wellness, and lifestyle strategies with elite adolescent athletes
- Understanding of first-aid treatments, massage, and physical therapy techniques and equipment
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively using a variety of media with diverse audiences
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion both internally and externally
- An outstanding work ethic and attention to detail
- The ability to prioritize workload to manage time and tasks
- Enjoy being challenged and have a desire to solve complex problems
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications, knowledge of current technologies and commitment to remain up to date with industry best practices
- High ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
- Experience coaching sports is a plus and experience coaching soccer is preferred
- English and/or Spanish language proficiency is essential and Spanish/English bilingual skills are a plus. Additional languages – even better
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid Certification Required. National or International Strength & Conditioning Association certification is a plus
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science degree program in athletic training accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training (CAATE). NATA certification required or obtained prior to January 2021
- It is the policy of Austin FC not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for internships because of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law
- All selected candidates are subject to passing a background check prior to acceptance
- Candidates must have a reliable source of personal transportation
- Hours include practices 2-3 times per week in the evenings and games most weekends