Job Title: Head of High Performance
Employer: USA Rugby
Job Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
USA Rugby Mission:
To unite an inclusive, passionate American rugby community and ignite sustainable development that grows a game reflective of our core values and history.
The Head of High Performance, reporting to the CEO, will be responsible for the leadership and management of all elements of USA Rugby’s high performance, National Teams and agreed upon Elite Competition program. The primary focus of this role will be the identification, development and socialization of the USA Rugby high performance brand, HP team strategy creation (on and off the field) and facilitate the growth and awareness of high performance opportunities within rugby in the US. This role will be located at the national office in Lafayette, CO.
- Consistent measured growth and development of the High Performance Pipeline, year over year
- Provide varied and continued opportunities for nationwide talent identification, recruitment and development of rugby athletes, coaches, referees.
- Drive the international competitive success of the Women’s and Men’s National Teams, both 7’s and 15s.
- Ensure the identification and talent development opportunities exist for elite coaches and referees.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and effectively communicate targeted strategies around how all HP teams should play today, with an eye towards how to continually grow the game and the players for long term returns
- Establish and model effective National Team culture and environment to all players, coaches and staff that hold all accountable to the USA Rugby Code of Conduct.
- Responsible to provide for the welfare of all players & coaches through the provision of trained personnel to administer medical education and services, strength & conditioning, analytics, nutrition and psychological services.
- Represent and effectively communicate the voice of HP to media on a scheduled basis
- Ensures the provision of the highest quality of player welfare, athletic training and personal development including the origination of contract agreements, depth chart creation, selection and identification, personal development (whether remote or resident), player planning, team advisory and partnering with the USOPC as applicable.
- Effectively supervise daily management of Men’s Senior National Team coaches, ensuring the alignment and monitoring of annual High Performance KPIs in conjunction with the CEO
- Work with the Director of Women’s Rugby and the Mens General Manager to oversee and ensure effective coaching & match official selection and development including management, appointment and reporting, providing a clear and directed succession pathway.
- Work with the Women’s High Performance Director to ensure the alignment of KPIs for the Women’s Senior National Team in conjunction with the CEO
- Build effective relationships with key internal USA Rugby department leads (commercial, development, financial, events) to leverage joint resources to maximize potential funding streams, tell the story of our athletes and teams, and stand for responsible stewardship to build excitement and foster involvement.
- Analyze the HP Departments current initiatives and resource allocation and identify which 1, 3, and 5 year initiatives from the strategic roadmap will be activated.
- Establish competition schedules for all HP teams in conjunction with the appropriate partners, ensuring proper representation for USA Rugby.
- Identify opportunities for capital investment in Rugby facilities, systems, and processes
- Provide for the effective communication and reporting on all things HP to key stakeholders including Performance Game Board Leader, Rugby committees, World Rugby, USOPC, Golden Eagles and USAR leadership team.
- Build and maintain effective procedures with Major League Rugby in order to optimize USA Rugby’s player-sharing relationship while maintaining player welfare.
- Responsible for effective management of the federation resources as they pertain to World Rugby’s annual plan and the USOPC rolling HP plan for men’s and women’s 7s.
- Director of Women’s High Performance
- Team General Managers
- National Team Services Manager
- National Teams Head Coaches (Women’s and Men’s)
- High Performance Referee Manager
- Director of Medical Services
- World Rugby – Head of Competitions and Performance
- Major League Rugby
- United States Rugby Players Association
- Donor groups (Golden Eagles)
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills both written & verbal
- Knowledge and understanding of rugby
- Ability to build and leverage effective business relationships
- Advanced analytical abilities
- Proven track record of developing and improving sports performance among athletes and staff
Required Experience & Education:
- Advanced degree (Bachelors required/Master’s preferred) in business, sports management or relevant field
- 5-7 years experience in the High Performance field
- 5-7 years experience in a supervisory role
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.