Job Title: Athletic Trainer
Employer: USA Rugby
Job Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: General Manager of Women's High Performance
USA Rugby Mission:
To unite an inclusive, passionate American rugby community and ignite sustainable development that grows a game reflective of our core values and history.
- The Athletic Trainer/Physical Therapist will deliver best practice services to the USA Rugby Teams. These services will be provided to the above squads in national camps, tournaments as well as . intervening periods. The current main base of operation will be at the Elite Athlete Training Center in Chula Vista, CA. The role will involve extensive international and national travel throughout the season.
- The AT/PT will liaise with the USA Rugby Head of Medical Services on all sports medicine related
- The AT/PT will also provide clinical care within the USOC Sports Medicine Clinic(s).
- USA Rugby Women’s Sevens Team Physicians
- USA Rugby Women’s Sevens Head Coach
- USA Rugby General Manager
- USA Rugby Program Manager
- USOC Medical Staff
- USA Rugby Head of Medical Services
Essential Job Functions:
- Excellent clinical skills.
- The ability to work well within a teamenvironment.
- Excellent organization, communication and IT skills.
- Provide physiotherapy care to the USA Rugby Women’s Sevens players including travel to all assigned tournaments and matches.
- Provide physiotherapy to other USA Rugby teams as assigned by the medical director.
- Work with the USA Rugby Director of Medical Services and assigned staff in the treatment and
monitoring of player injuries.
- Report to the USA Rugby Women’s Sevens Team Doctor(s), National Team Coach, General
Manager, Program Manager and S&C staff on matters relating to players’ injuries and progress
- Liaise with Olympic Development Academy medical staff regarding the progress and ongoing
treatment of players.
- Work closely with other medical specialists and the USA Rugby fitness staff in the prehabilitation and injury rehabilitation of players.
- Manage and coordinate all aspects of physiotherapy services including pre-season and in-season screening, design and implementation of individualized player prehabilitation and rehabilitation programs, and pitch side care.
- Maintain current medical records including the timely recording of all patient athlete medical
interactions and related data into both USAR and USOC electronic health record system in a complete manner
- Complete all insurance claim forms as instructed by Director of Medical Services
- Follow all World Rugby and USADA Anti-Doping policies and procedures
- Accompany players, where possible, on visits to consultant appointments.
- Maintain links in the academic community to provide up to date research in injury prevention and other areas.
- Work with World Rugby staff to complete all research projects as assigned
- Maintain consistent compliance with IOC, USOC, World Rugby, WADA, USADA, SafeSport and the IOC Olympic Medical Code to serve the patient athlete and provide for the protection of their health and wellness for each athlete
Desired Outcomes/Key Performance Indicators:
- The delivery of best practice sports physiotherapy services to USA Rugby teams.
- The development and implementation of best practice screening, injury prevention and rehabilitation protocols.
- Strong and effective working relationships with the coaches, players, and staff members of USA Rugby.
- Engage in CMEs in the practice of sports physiotherapy to ensure the delivery of physiotherapy
services reflect best international practice.
- Maintain all licenses and certifications with CMEs as required
- Delivery of successful injury prevention programs as indicated by injury rates, severity, and injury type.
- Students and interns as assigned and agreed upon
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- BOC certification
- Maintain License(s) as dictated by State and National Association
- ICIR Level 2/3 certification
- Maintain certificate in Anti-Doping Training to be completed within 10 days of start date
- Maintain certification in Blood Bourne Pathogen to be completed within 10 days of start date
- Current certification in Safe Sport Training to be completed within 10 days of start date
- Current Health Care Provider CPR certification
Required Education & Experience:
- Athletic Training degree from an accredited academic institution.
- A minimum of two years post graduate experience as team athletic trainer to a rugby team or in a similar contact sport.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Post-graduate training and education
- Research publications
- Strong Manual Therapy Skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.