Job Title: Head of Legal
Location: Must be willing to relocate to LA
Job Type: Full-time
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
The PLL is seeking an ambitious, skilled legal strategist to develop, manage and execute the PLL’s legal strategy. Individuals must be a serial self-starter, highly capable, and eager to deliver against aggressive targets. The Head of Legal is primarily responsible for assisting various departments with legal matters. This position requires assisting the PLL Executive Team and General Counsel with duties and tasks daily.
- Manage PLL’s legal team against set KPIs and key results
- Assists the Business Operations departments in the following areas: drafting and negotiating term sheets, broadcasting agreements, sponsorship agreements, licensing agreements, venue agreements, influencer agreements, player contracts, and other general business transaction documents.
- Assists the CEO and General Counsel in managing outside counsel, including but not limited to the following:
- Litigation Counsel
- Immigration Counsel
- Financing and M&A Counsel
- Assists the Human Resources department in areas of employment law and labor matters.
- Assists the Head of People and General Counsel in the oversight of workers’ compensation cases and risk management (including COVID-related strategy).
- Provide advice and assistance regarding IP issues arising in connection with various worldwide merchandising/consumer product initiatives.
- Conduct trademark search/clearance of all proposed league and team brand identities (including logos, names, mascots, slogans).
- Provide advice and assistance with website, data, and internet-related issues.
- Liaise with and advise TV, Social Media, and Digital distribution teams on rights and clearances associated with a network and digital distribution matters.
- Present analyses directly to executives and management
- Assist with corporate governance including service as Corporate Secretary to the board of directors.
- Strategic liaison with the PLL’s lacrosse operations teams on topics, including player contracts, the player handbook, and on-field discipline.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience.
- JD degree and in good standing with the Bar (California or New York preferred).
- Exceptional organizational, writing, and grammar skills required.
- Ability to perform duties and make decisions that require independent judgment, initiative, and tact.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the strictest confidentiality in all aspects of job duties.
- Consistent, punctual, and regular attendance.
- Professional image and demeanor.
- Strong ability to work well with co-workers and supervisors in a team environment and ability to interact professionally with the external community.
- Understanding the lacrosse community and broader media landscape is a plus
- A hard worker who is a “doer” first; must be ready to roll sleeves up
- Highly motivated and eager to make an impact on the organization
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.