Develop and implement Public Relations programs supporting the Professional Bull Riders (PBR) Strategic Communications function, which is charged with protecting and advancing the sport’s brand reputation, promoting its events, and adding value to partners.
Serving on the organization’s Communications team, the Public Relations Manager creates and executes timely and effective public relations plans and initiatives serving its brand, athletes, and partners. The role’s main focus is to develop public/media outreach plans to position bull riding as a mainstream, prominent sport, raise awareness of its events, and generate coverage and buzz to grow its fan base.
This role, reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Communications, focuses on the elite Unleash The Beast series, and also supports PBR’s secondary US tour (Velocity Tour). The ideal candidate will be able to work effectively on a small team with finite resources, initially learning from other team members the ways of this unique sport and then contributing creatively and collaboratively in managing the planning and execution of multiple events. We seek an energetic go-getter who can make a real impact through their creativity, collaboration, communications skills, and hard work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and organize event media outreach for sport’s top 2 tours, including story development, pitching, organizing media day schedules and executing rider appearances and interviews
- Develop and execute promotional activities for events, in tandem with colleagues in Partnership Marketing, Events Marketing, Digital, Creative, Competition and Operations.
- Develop relationships with media outlets to sell the sport, including arranging interviews, appearances, and other media exposure for the PBR.
- Create detailed post-event recaps summarizing coverage, and recording what worked well and areas for improvement for future events.
- Research and propose new public relations and promotional concepts.
- Write and edit a variety of materials, including press releases; pre-event Game notes, post-event summaries, website and social media copy; bios, and media guide/kit information.
- Oversee the development and production of annual media guide and other materials.
- Manage and update a list of National Media (broadcast, print, and digital).
- Throughout the season, in regularly scheduled meetings, brief PR/marketing department personnel on event activities and provide an updated working schedule for each event
- Respond to, or direct, media inquiries in a timely fashion
- Assist PR/Marketing team members and other PBR employees as needed
- Travel to PBR events as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Exceptional communication skills (written, verbal and presentation)
- Creative news-making abilities – conceive, frame, and pitch stories.
- Strong time and project management skills
- Ability to work under deadline pressure and manage change
- Working knowledge of Associated Press Style Guide
- Proficiency using MS Office (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point)
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and as collaboratively and respectfully as part of a team, and maintain organized files and supplies
EDUCATION AND FORMAL TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a related field - preferably in Marketing, Journalism, Communication and/ or Public Relations.
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
- 3-5 or more years of experience in Sports or Live Event Marketing - Preferred
- Normal business hours 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, with travel and extended hours as well as weekends will be required
- Ability to travel extensively to PBR events, and/or related meetings
Endeavor is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.