The Director of Broadcast Engineering is a true subject matter expert in PBR’s dynamic video production environment, leading technical planning and execution for PBR’s live event and studio production initiatives, including PBR’s RidePass OTT.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- The role will lead logistical, technical and operational planning including equipment and signal transmission through digital distribution. The role will also serve as a liaison with all broadcast and/or streaming distribution partners.
- Manage and drive reliability within a fast-paced, multi-event operations environment and maintain 99% online availability and reliability for all equipment, broadcast and livestream feeds.
- Provide clear direction and guidance for the execution of all broadcast technical functions.
- Train others in operational best practices, issue resolution, and recovery
- Manage other engineering staff and independent contractors.
- Operate and/or maintain video flypack systems and small broadcast mobile trucks.
- Facilitate day-of-air changes across multiple departments including Sales, Traffic, Programming, Promotions, and Feature Operations.
- Engineer production equipment including video, audio, camera equipment, cabling, trusses and rigging.
- Work with PBR event production, PBR tour operations, and venue staff for installation of audio-video equipment.
- Ensure signal transmission setup and delivery for live streaming.
- Coordinate with TV Production on any specialty requirements.
- Work with PBR production employee(s) and independent contractors, ensuring top-flight execution of production operations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Broad and specific knowledge of TV and video streaming production including broadcast operations, equipment specifications, encoding hardware/software/protocols, installation, setup, maintenance and engineering, and other technical requirements as needed.
- Ability to spec out and install network cabling and encoding devices
- Exceptional communication, team building and management skills
- Creative, solutions-oriented problem solver
- Ability to recognize and maintain familiarity with PBR and western sports athletes and stock contractors
- Ability to maintain a professional attitude during high-pressure, long working hours
- 8+ years in a fast-paced environment requiring troubleshooting and processing skills, plus an ability to effectively lead, prioritize and adapt to changing scenarios
- Ability to work with multiple departments simultaneously
- Technological curiosity and an improvement-oriented approach
- Unwavering composure in high-pressure situations
- A track record of meeting or exceeding performance expectations
- Acute attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and multi-tasking skills required
Education & Formal Training:
- BA/BS in video production or equivalent work experience preferred
- 8+ years’ experience in broadcast and video production operations environment; Sports TV experience a plus
- This position requires frequent travel for remote production at PBR and western sports events
- Hours are irregular, with extensive travel and extended hours as necessary
- Must be able to climb stairs and lift 50lbs
Endeavor is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.