Reports To: Vice President, Legal
Location: Tampa, Florida (IRONMAN World Headquarters)
World Triathlon Corporation, a Wanda Sports Holdings company, operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, 5150™ Triathlon Series, Iron Girl®, IRONKIDS®, six of nine International Triathlon Union World Triathlon Series races, road cycling events including the UCI Velothon Majors Series, mountain bike races (Cape Epic®, The Pioneer®, Wines2Whales®), premier marathons, and other multisport races. Beginning as a single race in 1978, the IRONMAN group of companies is now the largest participation sports platform in the world, with more than 260 events in 42 countries across all brand series. For more information, visit www.ironman.com
POSITION SUMMARY: Paralegal for the IRONMAN Legal Department, which includes (as of November 2017) five U.S.-based attorneys and one U.S.-based paralegal.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Core duties and responsibilities include the following:
· Provides administrative and clerical support for Legal Department, both on an ongoing basis and a project-by-project basis
· Document production and management:
o Assists with word processing and document formatting
o Assists with preparation of various types of documents of a routine nature
o Coordinates signatures to contracts, filings, and other documents
o Scans/copies/prints/emails/processes/organizes/distributes contracts, filings, and other documents
o Assists with maintenance of Legal Files (online and physical files); prepare files and file labels
o Liaises with off-site Document Storage Facility to schedule pick-ups; submits document-pull requests; updates and maintains internal storage inventory
o Manages collection, organization, and long-term storage of signed athlete waivers and other important documents
o Collects/files all pre- and post-race documentation from Operations Department & Athlete Services Department (e.g., waivers, permits, medical reports, race communications logs, etc.)
o Assists with document due diligence review for business transactions, and with discovery on litigation matters
· Processes/tracks law-firm invoices; quarterly assists Finance Department in collecting statements of account and legal fee accruals
· Prepares/maintains Legal Department meeting agendas, meeting minutes; arranges logistics of meetings and other events
· Handles incoming and outgoing mail and notices
· Assists in race sanctioning compliance (e.g., scan/file/process USAT Membership Forms)
· Collects, reviews, files, and tracks certificates of insurance
· Manages legal vendor and outside counsel contact lists
· Maintains Legal Team calendar (Legal Team PTO, travel, intern schedule, etc.)
· Collects/submits Legal Department supplies orders; prepare/submit expense reports for Legal Department staff
· Updates and organizes corporate governance document binders; assists with domestic business filings (state filings and annual reports); maintains fictitious name filings
· Provides general case manager support for Staff Attorneys and current Paralegal; prepare and maintain internal case files; prepare, organize, and maintain individual case reference binders for Chief Legal Officer and VP Legal
· Assists with trademark rights maintenance (collecting “proofs of use”; coordinating signatures, etc.)
· Other duties as may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and abilities required.
· EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree.
· COMPUTER SKILLS: Highly skilled in word processing and document creation, the use of most Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneDrive, etc.) and Internet browsers such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
· MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions, percentages.
· OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
o Excellent organizational skills
o Strong written and oral communication skills
o Identifies problems, and takes initiative to solve them; knows when to escalate decision-making on relevant problems
o Excellent judgment and discretion; maintains confidentiality of legal or personnel matters
o Handle multiple priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines
o Friendly, courteous, professional, and customer-service oriented
o Remains calm and professional in stressful situations
o Able to work independently and productively with minimum supervision
PLUS FACTORS (BUT NOT REQUIRED):
· Prior law firm or legal department work experience
· Paralegal certificate
· Notary Public certification
· Mandarin/Chinese language ability
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical requirements described below are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
· The employee may be required to occasionally lift and/or move items weighing up to 20 pounds.
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.