COMMERCIAL & OPERATIONS COUNSEL (TAMPA, FL)
The IRONMAN Group seeks qualified applicants for a Commercial & Operations Counsel (transactional attorney) position at its world headquarters in Tampa, Florida (work will be conducted remotely until further notice). The worldwide leader in endurance sports, The IRONMAN Group is a high-growth, international organization that owns and operates mass-participation athletic events under brands such as IRONMAN®, ROCK ‘N’ ROLL® MARATHONS, CAPE EPIC®, SINGAPORE MARATHON, and CITY2SURF®, among many other triathlons, marathons, road-cycling races, mountain-bike races, and other athletic events, and related programs such as IRONMAN UTM and IRONMAN VIRTUAL RACING (VRTM). Together with its scores of subsidiaries and licensees, The IRONMAN Group offers the world’s largest participation endurance sports platform by operating more than 230 events annually across 50+ countries – including the iconic IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP® in Hawaii, first held in 1978. In 2020, The IRONMAN Group became part of Advance (www.advance.com), a private family-owned business.
Core responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Draft, analyze, review, and negotiate sponsorship agreements, trademark licenses (for consumer products and events), event services/management agreements, host city/venue agreements, e-commerce agreements, service agreements, media agreements, merchandising agreements, race operations agreements, athlete-related agreements, software/technology agreements, liability waivers, and other types of agreements and legal and non-legal documents
- Depending on experience level, assist on or negotiate/draft M&A-related agreements
- Resolve disputes (with commercial parties, athletes, or employees) and negotiate settlements
- Advise business colleagues globally on a wide range of legal issues
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate is a currently practicing transactional attorney with these skills, attributes, and experiences:
- Practiced law a minimum 4 to 6 years in corporate/business law (in-house and/or law firm)
Please note: Applicants with primarily a litigation background will not be considered
- Strong writing, negotiating, and other communication skills
- Exceptional contract-drafting skills
- Detail-oriented, hard-working, business-minded
- Self-motivated and consistently meets deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills; able to handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Able to work under pressure and handle work-related stress
- Friendly, personable, professional
- Able to work independently and productively with minimal supervision
Experience with any of following is a plus:
- M&A transactions / transactional law-firm experience
EDUCATION & LICENSURE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university
- Juris doctor degree; licensed to practice law within the United States
May require flexible schedule, sometimes including weekends and evenings
So we know you’ve read this far: in your cover letter please mention your favorite (non-sports) TV or streaming show you’ve watched this year, with as much or little elaboration as you care to offer. Have fun with it; there are no wrong answers (except, well, sports shows).
May later require some travel (domestic or international), on an as-needed basis
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.