In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen.
BE A PART OF THE KENTUCKY DERBY, OAKS, AND THE TRANSFORMATION OF A LEGENDARY RACETRACK!
Churchill Downs Racetrack (“CDRT”), the world’s most legendary racetrack, has been the home of The Kentucky Derby, the longest continually held annual sporting event in the United States, since 1875. Located in Louisville, CDRT features a series of themed race days during Derby Week, including the Kentucky Oaks, and conducts Thoroughbred horse racing during three race meets in the Spring, September, and Fall. CDRT is located on 175 acres and has a one-mile dirt track, a 7/8-mile turf track, a stabling area, and provides seating for approximately 60,000 guests. The saddling paddock and the stable area have barns sufficient to accommodate 1,400 horses and a 114-room dormitory for backstretch personnel. CDRT also has a year-round simulcast wagering facility.
Churchill Downs also recently announced three major multi-year capital investments to transform key areas at the home of the Kentucky Derby. These projects will ultimately provide new, unique and extraordinary guest experiences in the coming years. Plans include the debut of a new project each year over the next three years, beginning with the Homestretch Club for Kentucky Derby 2022, the Turn 1 Experience for Kentucky Derby 2023, and culminating with a Paddock area redesign for the 150th running of the Kentucky Derby in 2024.
"These improvements will blend 147 years of tradition with an updated atmosphere that celebrates our storied past and ushers in a spectacular future for Churchill Downs." – Churchill Downs Racetrack President - Mike Anderson
The Sr. Director of International Business is a critical role in the expansion and growth of the Churchill Downs and Kentucky Derby brand and experience globally. The ideal candidate is great at relationship building, understands foreign markets and business practices, has the ability and connections to localize our business model overseas, works well with sales leadership and local sales teams at Churchill Downs to plan and sell out the Kentucky Derby and Oaks annually.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Spearheads and oversees the development of businesses in international territories, aiming for revenue growth and pipeline creation to international markets with a heavy interest in the horse racing industry
- Oversee all efforts focused on the International Business growth and expansion for the Kentucky Derby & Kentucky Oaks, Derby Week and the reveal of our transformative construction projects
- Manage international agencies and prospects looking to expand to the Kentucky Derby
- Conduct extensive market research and analyses of prospects and potentials in international markets
- Develop plans goals and timelines for international expansion
- Work with sales leadership on preparing budgets and planning revenue needs
- Work closely with internal teams to seek out and find international expansion opportunities from our current client base and the current demand for our product
- Run all international programs and/or spearhead marketing and branding initiatives globally
- Represent Churchill Downs at international trade shows and conferences
- Analyze risk and strategy with certain partnerships or business ventures
- Create sales campaigns and lead optimization
- Create sales territories or maps for global reach to companies and consumers
- Other duties as assigned
- Adhere to CDI/CDRT Policies and Procedures
- Represent Churchill Downs in a professional manner both inside and outside of the organization
- Perform duties as workload necessitates
- Demonstrate flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Be respectful to colleagues and function in a team environment
To perform this job successfully, the candidate must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. The candidate must have a strong work ethic and a burning desire to build a career in professional sports.
- Proven international sales experience managing both processes and the sales performance required of such a position at a sports or entertainment venue, with vast amounts of knowledge about entertaining, selling, and servicing Luxury Premium & VIP customers is preferred.
- Proficient in basic software programs
- Creative and enthusiastic with excellent interpersonal skills
- Available to work race days and special events
- Ability to travel internationally if necessary to achieve goals and access new markets
- Possess a willingness to work long hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Must demonstrate prior experience in dealing with high-level clients including dignitaries, officials, celebrities, luxury & premium ticket holders, club members, high-stakes wagerers, and/or members of the thoroughbred racing community.
- People-oriented, able to multi-task, organized, motivated and detail focused
- Prior interaction with the public and/or working knowledge of the horse racing industry preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and other related software and open to learning new technologies
- Experience in ticketing systems and CRM platforms, ideally Archtics (Ticketmaster) and Salesforce
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
5+ Years of International Sales Experience within Sports & Entertainment is preferred
A Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred.
Ability to communicate effectively (oral & written) with all types of clients, co-workers, and the general public.
Ability to communicate effectively under pressure and when working under a deadline.
Ability to manage relationships across cultural differences, and adhere to cultural approaches that may be different to achieve similar objectives.
Ability to communicate across different languages or use technology to successfully communicate effectively.
The ability to speak multiple languages is desired but not required.
Knowledge to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as analyzing costs, return on investment, and analyzing metrics and statistics in comparison to company goals and performance.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret directions and technical diagrams.
When dealing with prospects and clients, the employee must show discretion when making recommendations regarding options and event details for a Churchill Downs Racetrack event.
MACHINE, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
Computer, printer, calculator, copy and scanning machine, telephone, software packages, etc.
• Travel Requirements: Does not require travel outside of Louisville
• Physical Demands: This position requires the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
• Work Environment: The incumbent primarily works in an office environment, however, is expected to attend Churchill Downs race days.
This work is performed primarily in a business office setting within a sports and entertainment facility. Events often take place outside of traditional business hours, on weekends, and on holidays. Some areas of the facility may be noisy and subject to changing weather conditions. Churchill Downs Racetrack spans 175 acres and more than 1.5 million square feet under roof with additional entertainment facilities not protected from weather conditions.
The ability to move swiftly throughout the facility and stand for long periods is necessary. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The above-noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of the position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.