USA Field Hockey is the National Governing Body for the sport of field hockey in the USA. USA Field Hockey has over 27,000 members and oversees the junior national and Olympic teams and is responsible for the development and promotion of the game throughout the USA. As part of its continuing drive to achieve and maintain international excellence in the men’s game, USA Field Hockey is looking to recruit a head coach for the men’s U18 team.
The Junior High-Performance Boys U18 Head Coach is responsible for the development of the players in the U18 age category. He/She will provide coaching instruction and evaluation for invitation to the next steps in the Olympic pathway, the U18 team, the U21 team and ultimately the US Men’s National Team. Emphasis on the evaluation and development of the players individually and as a team are vital in this role to ensure the best players ultimately represent the US Men’s National Teams.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a High-Performance environment in which the U18 players develop and become aware of the demands and needs playing at an international level.
- Introduction and development of hockey techniques, tactical training, competition, and other training (including principles of psychology, nutrition and other performance enhancement tools)
- Assist the Senior Manager of Coaching and Performance with the evaluation and selection of the best players available to play on the US Men’s National U18 Team (in cooperation with other volunteer coaches in the national system) in compliance with USA Field Hockey and US Olympic Committee guidelines for athlete selection. The Senior Manager of Coaching and Performance shall make ultimate selection decisions.
- Fulfil the role of Assistant Coach with one, or more, of the other men’s Junior High-Performance teams – U16 and/or U21
- Work with the Junior High-Performance team to ensure effective integration of technical coaching and support services and communications across the Junior High Performance Program.
- Monitor and evaluate athlete performance and record relevant data to ensure standards are met and potential is maximized
- Represent USA Field Hockey at all times in a professional and personal manner that reflects positively upon the program, organization, and the United States of America.
Reports To: Senior Manager of Coaching and Performance
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree is a requirement of this position
- Licensure & Certification: Level 2 High Performance Field Hockey Coaching
- Strong communication skills, people management skills (especially young athletes)
- In depth knowledge of individual and team principles including techniques, tactics, coaching trends and international developments
- Good observational and analytical skills.
- Be an inspiring leader for young athletes
- Oversee the development of the individual athletes
- Ability to successfully manage individual differences and group dynamics
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, observe confidentiality and use discretion and initiative.
- Organizational and management skills, working in conjunction with administration
- Capacity to travel domestically and sometimes overseas. The JHP schedule is built around weekends and possible school holidays in order to accommodate the athletes in the best way possible, this requires certain flexibility in your schedule.
- Driven by achieving results, a passion to succeed
Work Location: Various.
Salary Range: Volunteer Position
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.