USA Fencing is the National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of fencing in the United States. Its mission is to grow and promote the sport of fencing in the United States, honor its rich traditions and to achieve sustained international success.
The Director of Finance is responsible for leading and managing the business operations division for USA Fencing to include: responsibility for the day-to-day financial reporting and budgeting; long-term financial planning including the quad budgets and investment strategy; risk management, compliance and the IT management for the organization. The Director of Finance collaborates with other divisions and constituent groups to ensure best practices business operations.
The position reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and will involve frequent interaction with senior staff, USA Fencing Treasurer, Budget Committee, Audit Committee and Board of Directors and other volunteers as needed.
- Perform and supervise all related accounting and business functions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and non-profit accounting standards.
- Responsible for directing the daily financial and business services of the organization to include budget variance analysis, liquidity analysis, bookkeeping, shipping/receiving and purchasing.
- Develop and administer accounting internal control policies and procedures.
- Analyze and present financial data in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements and forecasts. Prepare monthly finance reports for the Board of Directors working closely with the USA Fencing Treasurer and budget committee.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the CEO and the USA Fencing Treasurer; administer and review all financial plans and budgets and monitor progress and changes.
- Participate in strategic planning process with eye towards helping to develop income sources to match growing needs of the organization in cooperation with the Director of Development.
- Lead the annual audit process and, liaise with external auditors and the audit committee.
- Oversee investment portfolio as well as development and maintenance of reserve funds.
- Direct the Compliance Manager and oversee the organization’s compliance programs including the United States Olympic and Paralympic audit and certification process.
- Oversee the IT operations and relationship with IT vendor that manages the organization’s IT operations and systems. Work with CEO, key staff and IT vendor to develop and manage technology strategy for organization.
- Responsible for risk management and insurance programs.
- Support the Human Resources senior manager and/or external HR consultants as needed to include review of insurance and benefits plans.
- Ability to review service contracts for organization, consulting General Counsel as needed.
- Supervise finance and business operations staff.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or finance; MBA/CPA preferred.
- 7-10 years of overall professional experience to include broad financial operations and compliance experience.
- Ideal experience to include responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination and general knowledge or previous oversight of human resources, insurance and risk management
- Ability to translate financial concepts and collaborate with colleagues who may not have finance backgrounds.
- Lead with a collaborative mindset while embracing USA Fencing’s core values: Excellence, Respect, Teamwork, Inclusion and Passion.
- Experience managing relationships with software vendors preferred; knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with Intaact non-profit accounting software preferred.
Starting Salary Pay Range:
$95,000 - $105,000
- Paid vacation, personal and sick time
- 9 paid holidays per year
- 401(k) retirement plan, with employer match
- Comprehensive benefits package (medical, dental, vision, life insurance)
- Benefits may be modified or discontinued from time to time at the Company’s discretion as permitted by law
The USA Fencing National Office is located in Colorado Springs, CO; ability to work from National Office is required.
This is a full-time exempt position with competitive pay.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.