Director of Communications Job Description
USA Fencing is the National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of fencing in the United States. Its mission is to grow and promote the sport of fencing in the United States, honor its rich traditions and achieve sustained international success.
USA Fencing is an equal opportunity employer committed to increasing the diversity of its community. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation. To learn more about USA Fencing’s diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging efforts, please visit our DEIB page at: https://www.usafencing.org/deib.
The Director of Communications is responsible for overseeing all aspects of communications for USA Fencing, including serving as the organizational spokesperson and primary point of contact for media as well as management of internal and external communication strategies for internal and external communications, including social media. This individual reports to the CEO and manages the department of communications budget and staff which currently includes one full-time employee as well as contractors. This position also works closely with tournament staff, volunteers and the membership as well as National Office staff.
- Promotes USA Fencing athletes, events, programs and clubs to local, national and international media outlets.
- Cultivates positive relationships with members of the media, including coordinating interviews, providing photos and video of key subjects and proactive pitching of stories.
- Executes day-to-day organizational communications duties, including implementation of effective communications strategy.
- Works with staff and appropriate constituent groups to identify and implement public relations policies and goals of USA Fencing.
- Manages crisis communications, serving as the organizational spokesperson and working with USA Fencing leadership on the development of appropriate messaging.
- Develops vision, strategy and policies for USA Fencing website and organizational social media channels, including the creation and implantation of content calendars and working with departments and committees throughout USA Fencing to post relevant content that reflects key messaging and reflects the organization’s core values.
- Publishes American Fencing magazine, including writing and development of content, oversight of editorial and design staff and print and digital publication.
- Manages remote and in-person coverage of athlete results at domestic and international events, including the Senior and Junior World Cup circuits, Cadet European Cups and World Championship events for senior, junior, cadet, veteran and parafencers.
- Ensures organizational adherence to brand guidelines and works with relevant constituents to update and develop relevant style guides as needed.
- Serves as primary point of contact for media at USA Fencing events, including domestic tournaments as well as international events held in the United States.
- Coordinates broadcasts of international events, such as Grand Prix tournaments and World Cups as well as World Championship events held in the United States, including contracting of all aspects of production and working with the Federation Internationale d’Escrime to ensure compliance with broadcast guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications with at least 5-7 years of experience in the communications field with experience with Olympic, professional or college sports organizations preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to write news and feature stories, organizational statements, speeches and talking points.
- Proficiency with content management systems required with HTML knowledge a plus.
- Proficiency in AP Style required.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office and website content management systems required.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
- Commitment to excellence and high standards.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Acute attention to details.
- Ability to travel as needed (approximately 10-15%).
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions.
- Creative and innovative team player.
- Ability to work on complex projects with general direction and minimal guidance.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels and from various backgrounds
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of individuals at all organizational levels
- Creative, flexible and innovative team player
- Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Diversity: Demonstrates willingness to gain knowledge of EEO policies; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics: Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Oral Communication: Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Strategic Thinking: Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Starting Salary Range
- $70-90K annually – Commensurate with experience
- Paid vacation, personal and sick time
- 9 paid holidays per year
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Employer paid life insurance
- The USA Fencing National Office is located in Colorado Springs, CO; ability to work from National Office is preferred.
- This is a full time exempt position with competitive pay and flexible schedule.
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and 2-4 published writing samples.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.