Director of Event and Customer Service - USA Cycling (Colorado Springs, CO)
USA Cycling is the national governing body for the sport of cycling and oversees the disciplines of road, track, mountain bike, cyclocross and BMX. With a mission to develop the sport of cycling in the United States and to achieve sustained international racing success. USA Cycling supports cyclists at all levels, from those just beginning their personal journey in the sport as enthusiasts to seasoned professionals. The organization not only identifies, develops, and selects cyclists to represent the United States in international competition, but also supports amateur bike racing through grassroots development programs and the provision of critical infrastructure to run organized racing. USA Cycling is actively engaged in the ongoing work of growing the cycling community-internally and externally-to better reflect the diversity of the country. Our staff is now geographically spread well beyond our Colorado Springs headquarters. By joining USA Cycling, you will be able to apply your individual talent and passion towards shaping the future of our organization!
The Director of Event and Customer Service oversees and supports the successful delivery of thousands of cycling events across the country each year while growing participation in the sport by increasing the number of events and racing opportunities. The Director of Event and Customer Service ensures that the highest level of customer service is provided to USA Cycling’s general membership and to event promoters across multiple disciplines. The Director will lead the team to locate, develop, and define event leads and serve on the leadership team of USA Cycling to deliver on its mission to grow the sport of cycling in the U.S.
- Oversee and provide strategic direction to the Events and Customer Service team to support and serve USA Cycling’s members and event organizers.
- Oversee department organizational structure and operations to include, but not limited to training and development, coaching, performance improvement and policy and procedure development and implementation.
- Oversee and provide strategic direction to the regional field sales force to foster continued growth of sanctioned USA Cycling events across America to include the acquisition of new events as well as the retention of existing events.
- Developing and tracking key performance indicators (KPIs) for the team.
- Partner with the Membership and Marketing teams to ensure alignment of strategy, objectives and efforts.
- Seek input from and collaborate with members of the USA Cycling community including, but not limited to event organizers, clubs, local association representatives, officials, and general members.
- Build tools and services for members of the USA Cycling community to support events and to maximize growth opportunities.
- Develop policies and establish fees associated with the sanctioning of cycling events that consider and meet the needs of community members while maintaining financial integrity and growth through revenue generation.
- Create, develop and establish innovative promotion strategies and products, particularly for non-traditional events (e.g. gran fondos and gravel).
- Periodically provide national and regional event, rider day, and license reports by discipline to enable the Event and Customer Service team to understand and maximize opportunities related to market demographics.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in cycling event creation, promotion and implementation.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a management professional who has led sales and customer service teams in a complex and rapidly changing business environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the American bike-racing ecosystem including, but not limited to, key constituent groups, local associations, race directors and community officials.
- Knowledge of non-traditional cycling events like gran fondos, gravel grinders, sportives, etc.,
- Proven success in delivering market growth, strategy development, negotiation, and problem-solving.
- Proven ability to build positive working relationships.
Additional Experience/Skill Sets:
Strategic Planning: Ability to develop national and regional goal-oriented action plans that align with an organization's overall strategy and objectives; ability to evaluate competing forces in the marketplace and maintain competitive knowledge to adjust strategies and tactics.
Budget Management: Ability to develop budgets and business plans based on business goals and market trends; ability to maintain monthly budgets; experience approving expenditures and ensuring budgetary compliance of team members.
Sales Forecasting: Experience providing monthly, quarterly, and annual forecasts.
Policy Development: Ability to draft well-reasoned, thoroughly vetted policies in a complex environment involving multiple stakeholders.
Product Development: Experience creating new products and solutions to meet the changing needs of customers.
Team Member Supervision: Ability to prioritize and assign work, coach employees, provide timely feedback on job performance, plan and promote incentives, and develop and implement training initiatives and capability improvement plans.
Community Outreach and Relationship Building: Experience working with members of a diverse and complex community to identify issues and enhance programs and services; experience establishing effective relationships and a deep understanding of difficulties at the local level.
Project Management: Ability to deliver complex projects on time and within budget.
Customer Service: Ability to focus on customers and developing solutions to meet their needs or desires.
Leadership and Driving Change: Experience as an influential leader who can motivate and inspire individuals and teams and lead a significant shift in the way an organization operates and behaves.
Teamwork and Collaboration: Ability to communicate the needs of the Event and Customer Service team while collaborating with other departments (IT, Marketing, Membership, Communications, etc.) to ensure effective workflow; ability to work effectively with others in the pursuit of a common objective.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by potential candidates to successfully perform the essential functions of the role.
- Ability to work in conditions with occasional exposure to extreme weather such as high and low temperatures and variable precipitation when working at events.
- Visual capabilities for both long and short distance measurement at events.
- Frequently communicate with staff and participants and must be able to exchange accurate information in event situations.
- Dolly and lift-assist equipment. Incumbent may occasionally lift/move up to 50 lbs.
- Use of hands to finger, handle, or feel along with reaching with hands and arms.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher)
- 30% - 40% domestic travel.
- We encourage all staff to review CDC and state public health webpages for policies and recommendations relevant to the area to which they will be traveling.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time exempt position located in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Base salary range for the position is $60,000 - $80,000 annually.
- Comprehensive total rewards package (Medical/Dental/Vision/Health Savings Account/403(b)/Paid Holidays/Discretionary Bonus), an exciting work environment and inclusive culture.
USA Cycling is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.