Marketing and Communications Associate
Reports to: Marketing Director
Based in Bristol, RI
Increase sailing participation and excellence through education, competition, and equal opportunity, while upholding the principles of fair play, sportsmanship, and safety.
Our Vision for the Future of Sailing:
Sailing has become a rapidly growing sport in the US, driven by innovations in access and education, and inspired by American success in international competition. The diverse sailing community is aligned around common goals for the sport. Sailing has been embraced by the public as being inspiring, inclusive and accessible.
- Collective Success
- Clarity and Transparency
The Marketing and Communications Associate is responsible for managing and creating content for all of our social media platforms for the US Sailing association in partnership with the Olympics communication team. They will provide communication management for US Sailing products, programs, services, and events while supporting all US Sailing departments. This role has direct oversight of US Sailing social media and communications strategies and avenues. This role requires experience in marketing and communications with strong professional communication skills both written and verbal.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide communications management for US Sailing products, programs, services, and events
- Support US Sailing Adult, Youth, Offshore, Race Admin, Education, and Membership departments with communications support
- Draft professional copy of US Sailing products, programs, services, and events across all US Sailing platforms
- Manage US Sailing social media channels, produce effective content, and conduct performance and audience analytics for review
- In collaboration with the Senior Communications Manager, Website Manager, and department leads, draft and edit website copy for US Sailing products, programs, services, and events
- Support and provide communications activation at US Sailing events as a member of the media team
- Work with the Membership department on targeted communications to current prospective US Sailing members
- Work closely with the Marketing department on the creation and collection of brand asset development
- Support US Sailing Store marketing through targeted e-commerce communications outreach
- Work to provide a presence and focus on the US Sailing Store
- Coordinate and collaborate with Foundation Department and Olympics communication team to ensure one voice for US Sailing through social media etc.
- Execute takeovers for social medial platforms with other departments
- Manage and grow social media and run and provide analytics of performance with a plan of action
- Additional projects and events as needed
Who you are:
- 2-4 years of social media, marketing, or communications experience
- Possess strong professional communication skills both written and verbal
- Possess strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and be process oriented
- Degree in Marketing, Communications, Business, or similar preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite, Adobe, social media program and management tools
- Experience with WordPress, Canva, MailChimp a plus
- Ability to work occasional nonbusiness hours (i.e., nights weekends) for media, communications, and events as needed
- Ability to travel domestically 10-15%
- Belief in the Olympic movement
- Appreciation for the sport of sailing
Benefits and Perks:
- Medical insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental Insurance
- 403(b) with company match up to 5%
- Life insurance
- Long- and short-term disability insurance
- Paid time off, Sick, and Vacation time
- Access to free gym Membership at Roger William University campus
- Access to Roger Williams University cafeteria and lunch options
- Discounts to West Marine 5-60%
- Complimentary US Sailing Membership
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
US Sailing provides a vibrant work environment that values creativity, teamwork and respect. As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, US Sailing is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) applying for this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the candidate will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.