Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Increase sailing participation and excellence through education, competition, and equal opportunity, while upholding the principles of fair play, sportsmanship, and safety.
Our Vision for the Future of Sailing:
Sailing has become a rapidly growing sport in the US, driven by innovations in access and education, and inspired by American success in international competition. The diverse sailing community is aligned around common goals for the sport. Sailing has been embraced by the public as being inspiring, inclusive and accessible.
- Collective Success
- Clarity and Transparency
US Sailing is seeking an experienced and analytical Finance Manager with strong numerical skills to drive our organization's financial operations and improve financial performance. The Finance Manager will report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and will be responsible for helping to support the organization’s overall financial plans and policies, manage its accounting practices, improve revenue, and enhance accuracy and efficiency.
The Finance Manager will play a critical role in partnering with the CFO in strategic decision making and supporting the business operations. Duties include analyzing and reporting on financial performance, overseeing the annual audit, developing and implementing accounting policies, preparing forecasts and comprehensive budgets, reviewing departmental budgets, and analyzing complex financial data.
The ideal candidate must have nonprofit experience and be extremely detail oriented, possess strong analytical skills, good strategic thinking, excellent communication skills, and strong leadership skills. This role will require advanced excel skills and a strong track record of driving process improvement. A noteworthy finance director should help develop effective financial strategies, guide efforts towards financial stability, promote revenue growth, and ensure compliance with accounting regulations.
What you’ll be doing:
- Assist the CFO in driving the success of strategic operating plans and associated budget with a particular emphasis on monitoring financial performance and resource allocation
- Lead financial planning and analysis, including forecasting, budgeting, and cash flow management
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the board of directors
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports and forecasts
- Review short and long-term goals in light of existing and projected financial resources available
- Develop strategies to increase return on investment and profitability
- Present financial reports to executives, board members, investors, and other stakeholders
- Collaborate with executives and directors to create budgets and track key performance indicators
- Support accounting, general ledger, and operations functions, ensuring systems are in place to guarantee timeliness and accuracy
- Compare performance with operating standards and report the results of operations to all levels of management
- Work with and advise on solid financial decision making to increase profits and minimize losses
- Adhere to all applicable laws and regulations
- Assist in managing the finance department, training any new employees as necessary
Who you are:
- A highly-motivated, results-oriented, and forward-thinking team player with a strong work ethic, credibility, and sense of integrity
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or a closely related
- Master’s degree and/or CPA preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a finance role
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in finance and business
- Possess strong personal communication skills
- A proven track record of success in finance or business
- Possess strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and be process oriented
- Ability to manage and motivate individuals directly and indirectly
- Proficiency in accounting software, MIP system knowledge a plus
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and delegate responsibilities in an effective and efficient manner
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite, particularly Excel
- Belief in the Olympic movement
- Appreciation for the sport of sailing
Benefits and Perks:
- Medical insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental Insurance
- 403(b) with company match up to 5%
- Life insurance
- Long- and short-term disability insurance
- Paid time off, Sick, and Vacation time
- Access to free gym Membership at Roger William University campus
- Access to Roger Williams University cafeteria and lunch options
- Discounts to West Marine 5-60%
- Complimentary US Sailing Membership
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
US Sailing provides a vibrant work environment that values creativity, teamwork and respect. As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, US Sailing is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) applying for this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the candidate will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.