In support of US Sailing’s mission to grow and strengthen the sport of sailing, the Executive Assistant will be responsible for providing support for the Executive Director (ED) by serving as a liaison to the staff, Board of Directors and performing diverse duties and administrative functions requiring confidentiality, initiative and sound decision making.
This role requires impeccable organization and time-management skills. A successful assistant will work well independently and as part of a team. They will possess superior communication skills, excellent judgment, attention to detail, ability to juggle tasks, and competency in key administrative skills. The position is a crucial support member of the organization and will have an opportunity to make an immediate impact.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains ED’s appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel.
- Ensures the ED’s schedule is followed and respected.
- Works closely and effectively with the ED to keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Acts as a "barometer," having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the ED updated.
- Coordinates meetings, including attendee management, materials preparation, room set-up and issue resolution.
- Prepare reports, collect and analyze information; prepare presentations.
- Expense report management
- Composing and preparing correspondences that may be confidential
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the ED, with board members, staff, and others, on matters related to the ED’s initiatives
- Participates as an adjunct member of the Leadership Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings transcribing when appropriate.
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of Senior Leadership Team meetings and off-sites, and all-staff meetings
- Serves as the President and Board’s administrative liaison
- Assist with special projects or other general office tasks as needed or assigned
- Provide support for aspects of meeting/event/boat show planning from site selection, food/beverage and A/V coordination, event registration, ordering supplies, packing/shipping and post-event reporting.
- Supports and may coordinate regional events including assisting in the arrangement of speakers, instructors and/or subject matter experts
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- College degree in Management or related field.
- 3+ years administrative support or executive assistance
- Must be self-motivated while thriving in a team setting.
- Possess a commitment to and experience in providing first class customer service.
- Possess strong written and oral communications skills, specifically writing letters/emails, comfortable speaking on the telephone.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Work PowerPoint), standard web content management systems and database applications.
- Must be detail and process oriented.
- Possess strong problem solving skills and follow through on projects and tasks.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
- Must possess the highest integrity and values consistent with those of US Sailing.
- Importance of being a team player: All US Sailing employees are expected to be exceptional team players.
- Requires confidence, job knowledge and ability to utilize available resources to provide excellent customer service.
- A passion for helping people
- Ability to use all forms of office equipment.
- Must possess excellent organizational and prioritization skills along with the ability to multi-task and problem solve.
- Growing Membership: Each employee is expected to work together with the Membership Department and assist in growing US Sailing membership.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.