Aloha Tournaments (a subsidiary of 3 Step Sports) is looking for smart, motivated and career-minded undergraduate students to provide operational and administrative support for its national portfolio of youth lacrosse events. Our 2020 tournament season will consist of 12 different lacrosse events throughout the United States, including the World Series of Youth Lacrosse championship which is played in a collegiate stadium and broadcast live on ESPN2. Our events annually attract 25,000 players and their families to participate in an unparalleled youth sports experience. Aloha Tournaments hosts some of the largest, most well-run youth sports events in the nation. For more information about our organization, please visit www.threestep.com
Interns will be provided with formal, hands-on training in the functional areas of sports administration, event operations and marketing. This is a great internship for a Sports Management, Events/Hospitality, Business, or Marketing majors. Interns will be eligible to receive college course credit. The internship is open to all students in their Senior, Junior or Sophomore years of undergraduate school. Underclassmen may be offered a returning internship position for the following spring or summer, where they can expect to take on greater responsibilities.
Compensation and Time Commitment:
This is a 12-week, full time, paid internship available for qualified undergraduate students able to relocate or live in the Baltimore metro area for the Summer
Schedule: The target start date for the internship is May 18, 2020 and will run through August 7, 2020 (12 weeks), although this can be adjusted based on your school schedule. Interns should be prepared to work 6+ weekends throughout the course of the 12-week internship. On weekdays, interns will work between 30-40 hours per week and will be given days off throughout the summer, typically after the weekend of an event.
Local Students: Interns that have permanent residence in the Baltimore area will be paid $3,000 over the course of their internship (bi-weekly).
Out of town Students: In lieu of a stipend, Aloha will arrange for local housing for those students relocating to Baltimore.
- Students participating in the internship program will be eligible to receive course credit if approved by your school.
Interns will assist with all matters related to the planning, promotion, administration and execution of several tournaments throughout the Spring. Interns will be expected to take on more responsibilities as they gain more experience over the course of the internship. While individual duties may vary based on experience, background and interests, responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Daily Office & Warehouse Duties:
- Assist with team registration and customer relations
- Check rosters to verify eligibility for tournament
- Prepare scouting binders for college coaches
- Organize tournament supplies and equipment for individual events
- Inventory apparel before and after events
- Pack team prizes/tournament t-shirt for each tournament
- Listen to voicemails and report to 3 Step staff
- Maintain a clean and organized warehouse
- Other general administrative duties
Weekend Event Operations Duties:
- Assist with all event operations from start to finish
- Drive truck from warehouse to tournament location (must be 21+)
- Check in teams and officials at tournament
- Sell tournament apparel and merchandise
- Maintain score and stats at the tournament, post online and on scoreboard
- Field preparation and maintenance
- Distribute tournament information to referees; make sure games stay on schedule
- Check-in college coaches
- Run college coaches’ hospitality tent
- Set up and break down of tournament site
- Load and unload truck
- Supervise trash and parking staff
- Fulfillment of sponsorship and vendor requirements
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate program in Sports Management/Administration, Events & Hospitality, Business, Communications, Marketing or a related program.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Word
- Excellent oral, written and communication skills; ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and work as part of a team
- Very organized and process-oriented with a high attention to detail
- Ability to effectively plan, organize and meet deadlines while maintaining a high level of quality
- Passionate about sports, both as a participant and spectator. Participation in high school and/or college athletics is a plus
- Experience and/or interest in lacrosse also preferred
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do the dirty work as needed
- Daily access to a car to get to/from office and local events