SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the General Manager, Stadium/Arenas role for the Big Sandy Superstore Arena (Huntington Civic Center), located in Huntington, WV. This individual will be responsible for leadership of the overall daily management, operating and promotion of the facilities; including oversight of all operating departments including without limitation, marketing, sales, event booking, event services, finance, human resources, food and beverage, box office, advertising, security, purchasing, event production, plant operation and maintenance, parking and related operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes and maintains active contact and an effective working relationship with the Client/Contract Administrator, professional sports tenants, government departments and agencies, live entertainment industry representatives, rights holders, event organizers, national governing bodies of sport, community and civic organizations, as well as, union representatives (where applicable) to encourage continual and regular use of the facilities.
- Solicits and books a complete schedule of events, including, concerts, family shows, dirt events, sporting events, theatrical events, comedians, dance events, exhibitions, flat shows, meetings and conferences, graduations, ceremonies, and other innovative/creative events, through the establishment of positive relationships with agents and artist management, promoters, event producers, event presenters, businesses, organizations, meeting planners and the like.
- Oversees the development of the annual business plan, including; event calendar, activity schedules, sales and marketing activities and goals, service objectives and projections for attendance and/or revenue.
- Oversees and coordinates the marketing and promotion of facility events, as applicable.
- Negotiates and secures commercial rights sponsorships such as naming rights, product rights, service and serving rights, fixed-panel and electronic advertising, digital and social media advertising, and the like.
- Negotiates tenant agreements related to the use of the facility, as applicable.
- Regularly monitors the financial status of the operation as compared to the approved budget, and regularly monitors the status of the corporate fees attributable to the facility operation.
- Directs the development, administration and execution of all financial and operating reports including: preliminary budget, capital expenses, operating revenue, expense budgets, etc.
- Oversees and coordinates the provision of food and beverage concessions and catering services at the facility.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facility, as well as, direction and oversight of the day-to-day operations and the booking, marketing and promotion of events.
- Negotiates and provides final approval on all contractual agreements with vendors, and use agreements with event organizers, hosts, managers and producers.
- Conduct meetings with senior and support staff, as well as regular meetings with contract administrator, municipal leaders, marketing/alliance partners, and key stakeholders.
- Implements security and operational best practices, following guidelines set by the major professional sports leagues, national governing bodies and the corporation.
- Monitors compliance with all provisions of SMG's management services contract and develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the contract, the Client's objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office.
- Ensures that the facility materials, equipment and supplies are inventoried; approves the purchase of facilities supplies, materials, and athletic equipment as needed.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: maintain high-standards for guest services, employee training and development, quality assurance, energy efficiency, safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
This individual must be a well-established leader and professional with a minimum of 5-7 years of industry experience in a senior management level position within a Stadium or Arena. They must have a proven track record of managing and leading large scale facility operations with a diverse workforce. Must have significant experience in the following areas: contract negotiations (particularly professional sports teams), supervising personnel, live entertainment booking, event promoting and supervising live entertainment productions, business law, purchasing procedures, plus labor relations and union contracts (if applicable). The incumbent must be able to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the industry. Must demonstrate business acumen with a client/customer service focus, and ability to communicate effectively in both written and public speaking forums. Bachelor's Degree (BA) from a four-year accredited college or university with major course work in business or public administration or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Status and Scope
Reports to the Regional Manager/Vice President. Directly supervises all the senior staff at the location. The individual must establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, sports and entertainment industry, community and civic organizations, as well as, union representatives (where applicable) to encourage continual and regular use of the facility.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 610-729-1023.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.