*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
If you are interested in sports jobs with the New Orleans Saints and Pelicans, you’re in the right place!
It’s exciting to work in sports. And it’s even more exciting to be a decision influencer in sports using Data Engineering techniques, tools and methods. Imagine what you could do, learn and accomplish here at the Saints and Pelicans organization, where we never stop thinking, learning, creating, testing, and innovating.
The Saints and Pelicans’ Business Intelligence department is looking for a talented Data Engineer who is passionate about designing, crafting, and operating automated analytical solutions that will drive scientific data-driven decision making and have direct and measurable positive impact to both the New Orleans Saints, the New Orleans Pelicans, and ultimately their customers - the fans.
As a Data Engineer, you will use Python, SQL, Snowflake, dbt and other tools to build automated processes, models and solutions for data operations across the company. This role will cross over data sources in both business analytics and basketball analytics - from marketing to sales & retention, from game presentation to facility operation, from ticketing to sponsorship, and from player valuation models to coaching strategy.
As a part-time member of the basketball analytics team, you will own the data engineering process for all of our basketball-related data in support of the basketball operations department (coaches, scouts, executives, etc.).
The Business Intelligence department is growing exponentially and we are looking forward to meeting you. There are three teams in this department - Business Analysts, Data Operations, and Data Science.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Engage and Collaborate with business analysts to find opportunities, understand requirements, and translate requirements into technical data science solutions
- Design, engineer and maintain analytical tools and models using statistical or data science approach, apply tried-and-true techniques, and develop custom algorithms as needed by the business problem
- Collaborate with data scientists and business analysts to design, test and implement robust automated and/or batch machine learning solutions
- Build and maintain data sources and ETL/ELT processes across business operations and basketball operations, such as social media data, digital and text message data, live traffic data, weather data, play-by-play data, camera-generated basketball tracking data, and other basketball-related data used by the basketball operations department.
- Help ensure database integrity by building and maintaining resilient data processes, and assist with architecting data storage solutions to efficiently store and retrieve information.
- Collaborate with business analysts to ensure operational and business metric health by monitoring key decision points, and provide actionable insights instantaneously to business analysts and key business decision makers
- Execute data mining and investigate adversarial trends, identify behavior patterns, and respond with agile logic changes
- Communicate results of analyses to business analysts, managers and executives
- Research new technologies and methods across data science, data engineering, and data visualization to improve the technical capabilities of the team
- Other projects and duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA):
- Bachelor’s degree in in Computer Science, Data Engineering, Machine Learning, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Economics, or a related field with focus on computer science, data science, or programming
- Strong Microsoft SQL programming and administration skills along with an understanding of database design and data collection methodology, including the underlying relational and dimensional data models
- Experience in building modern ETL/ELT processes (preferably in Python) to centralize and organize data, and strong understanding of XML and JSON file structures
- Understanding of how to utilize cloud based solutions such as those offered by Snowflake and Microsoft Azure
- 3-5 years’ experience applying data science to real business problems
- Minimum 3 years practical experience and ability to implement data science pipelines and applications in a general programming language such as Python
- Minimum 3 years practical experience and knowledge of relational databases, such as SQL
- Minimum 3 years practical experience and knowledge of data visualization tools, such as Looker or Tableau
- Knowledge of modern data engineering frameworks, such as dbt
- A knowledge of, and passion for finding, the newest and most innovative engineering techniques—the type of programmer who loves refactoring and reading about new frameworks
- Understanding of algorithms for classification, regression, clustering, and anomaly detection
- Ability to handle high pressure situations while still being attentive to the detail and excellent work product required
- Knowledge of advanced basketball statistics, and knowledge of common basketball statistical resources, both public and proprietary is a plus
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive/confidential situations and information
- A working knowledge of NBA rules and a love for the game of basketball
- Ability to comprehend and debug complex systems integrations
- Ability to extract meaningful business insights from data and identify the stories behind the patterns
- Excellent communication and organization skills, distilling complex analysis and concepts into concise business-focused takeaways
- Creativity to engineer novel features and signals, and to push beyond current tools and approaches
- Highly analytical person with strong problem-solving and self-directed learning skills, and exceptional attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated individual with excellent teamwork spirit
- Experience within the sports industry is not required, but is a plus
- Submitting a business case study from your past working experience is highly recommended
- Typical office environment
- Must be able to sit and work at a computer 80% of the day
- Working schedule/hours will ebb and flow with NFL/NBA schedule, and will include working some late hours, holidays, nights, and weekends
Applications must be submitted online. Please do not mail or email resumes to the Saints/Pelicans. All qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or by email. Please do not contact the Saints/Pelicans Human Resources or Hiring Manager to check the status of your application. When applying, please be sure your updated contact information is provided.
The New Orleans Saints and New Orleans Pelicans ("Teams") are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for candidates and employees regardless of their membership in any protected classifications. The Teams will not discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, color, age, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, and pregnancy), religion, physical or mental disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, familial status, status as a victim of domestic violence, and/or any other legally protected class under applicable federal, state, or local laws. This anti-discrimination policy applies with respect to all employment decisions, including but not limited to hiring, promotion, discipline, and discharge. The Teams are committed to equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in compliance with the Americans Disabilities Act and state law. If you feel you need an accommodation for a disability, please inform us. Requests for accommodation will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If you request an accommodation, it is essential that you participate fully in the interactive process.