Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and 2020 NBA 2K League’s Champion Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA) in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. MSE recently opened the first ever in-arena sports book with William Hill at COA and also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
The Vice President of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) will build, develop, implement and support transformative DEI programs across Monumental Sports & Entertainment’s teams, platforms, people and community. The main focus of this position is to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion of team members and programs in all aspects of the business and team operations of the Washington Wizards, the Washington Mystics, the Washington Capitals, the Capital City Go-Go and Wizards District Gaming, and our staff and facilities at Capital One Arena, Wizards MedStar Performance Center and the MedStar Capitals IcePlex in regard to many dimensions, including age, race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status and veteran status. This position will provide guidance to the Company’s Senior Leadership Team to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment that provides opportunity and advancement for team members and the organization. This position serves as an internal consultant to all senior executives and their departments to ensure that DEI is a part of the decision-making processes throughout the organization to build a truly inclusive work environment and brand.
- Build business initiatives at a strategic level with collaboration across corporate functions and business and team operations informed by DEI thought leadership and recommendations that demonstrate the impact on bottom line results.
- Build organizational DEI goals, define performance metrics, assess program performance and demonstrate organizational impact.
- Provide background and expertise to build productive partnerships with internal business leaders to advise on the integration of diversity and inclusion into communications and development of employees.
- Partner with our community-focused teams in communications, government relations, the Foundation and Social Impact to enrich community engagement, services and programs for our partners in the DMV area, especially Wards 7 and 8 in Washington, D.C.
- Research and provide insight and analysis on diversity workforce management trends to support strategies to deliver on MSE’s commitment to foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce.
- Build programs to develop internal diverse talent and enhance programs in support of diverse talent recruitment through pipelines that lead to hires.
- Provide subject matter expertise and education to leaders to strengthen their personal leadership brand and organizational strategy to advance functional and key business outcomes.
- Work in partnership with the human capital team on DEI data, trends, areas of opportunity, future-focused thinking and competitive programs and practices.
- Advise employee resource groups as they become strategic partners to the business and demonstrate positive impact to MSE’s bottom line through effective leadership, engagement, programming and management.
- Serve as an ambassador with our external leaders and community partners, to cultivate positive relationships across the DMV area.
- Engage with local and regional affiliated organizations to develop strategic partnerships in the areas of diversity, equity and inclusion, including best practices, trainings, speakers and what’s on the horizon for D&I as well as our teams and our community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 8+ years of prior experience in DEI focused work.
- Understanding and experience in DEI principles.
- Understanding of human capital functions and experience with integration of DEI practices into these functions.
- Experience leading cultural change and influencing key partners.
- Ability to drive consensus and influence outcomes.
- Strong presentation and public speaking experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated client focus.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Ability to handle confidential information and exercise sound judgment and risk management.
All applicants for employment at Monumental Sports are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Monumental Sports will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.