Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and NBA 2K League’s Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. Monumental Sports & Entertainment also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
The Senior Programmer will be responsible to aggregate data, design systems architecture, and help set strategic goals for the Research department. This position will lead department programming efforts, lead a team consisting of programmers, data scientists, and data visualization specialists. This person must be a creative problem solver who is adept at finding innovative solutions to unique challenges. This position will report to the VP, Research.
- Build and develop systems, analytical models, and foundational structures.
- Lead programming efforts for the Research team.
- Support third party vendors integration with Monumental basketball’s internal research processes.
- Work to identify answers to strategic questions as put forth by the Monumental Basketball staff, including areas of player evaluation, game management, in-game tactics, roster building, salary cap strategy, and broader league trends.
- Collaborate with the Research team and Strategy & Analytics department to provide the basketball operations departments with the best empirical data and data analysis available, ensuring objectivity and integrity of information through rigorous analytical models.
- Maintain a dynamic and secure information system that anticipates the needs of Monumental Basketball Operations staff.
- Assist with preparing the Annual Report for the Research department.
- Lead and support members of the Research team, maintaining a positive and professional work environment.
- Manage scheduling workflow of the Research team.
- Continuing Education Coursework.
- Build and implement professional development plans for direct reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics or STEM related field.
- 5+ years' experience with statistical modeling and paralleled data pipe-lining.
- 5+ years' experience with back-end engineering and markdown languages.
- 2+ years' experience managing and developing a team.
- Expertise utilizing Python, R C Sharp or other programming languages.
- Expertise with standard SQL and other database management tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong management skills.
- High integrity, dependable, and comfortable handling confidential information.
- Strong work ethic and creative problem solving capabilities.
- Positive attitude and enjoys collaborating with a team as part of something bigger than yourself.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.