Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and 2020 NBA 2K League’s Champion Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA) in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. MSE recently opened the first ever in-arena sports book with William Hill at COA and also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Summary: The Director, Team Security will have primary responsibility for the security function supporting the team operations and training facility operations for the Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and Capital City Go-Go, including team travel.
Do you have security management experience and are looking to grow your career? We would love to hear from you!
- Devise written safety and security policies and protocols for all team operations and team security departments.
- Manage team security department budget, training, scheduling, and professional development.
- Coordinate with the VP of Security for Monumental Sports & Entertainment in implementing and executing security procedures at Capital One Arena and training facility.
- Work with local and regional law enforcement as well as security departments of the NBA, WNBA, NBA2K, and G League.
- Respond to threats of physical or personal safety of players or staff and conduct residential security assessments for players and key management.
- Implement and lead Crisis Management and Incident Response protocols.
- Monitor appropriately the off-hour and off-season activity of players.
- Work with the personal security staff of players and ownership.
- Build advance travel plans for each team trip and accompany teams as the need arises for games and league travel.
- Lead all aspects of internal investigations relating to team operations.
- Conduct briefings and trainings on security issues and create an annual report of all incidents and security risks.
- Maintain functional relationships with management of establishments that staff and players frequent.
- Supervise security and background checks on potential hires and prospective players.
- Maintain a close knowledge of the community immediately surrounding the training facility.
- Co-supervise security staff for the training facility.
- Collaborate with facilities staff to develop procedures to credential and authorize employees’, contractors', and visitors’ ingress and egress from the training facility and other team areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 8 plus years of experience in law enforcement.
- 4 plus years managing a security team.
- Experience developing written security evaluations and developing written security protocols and protection plans for facilities and individuals.
- Flexibility to work long hours, nights, weekends, holidays, and willingness to travel throughout the year.
- Firearm training and certification equivalent to Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act and active certifications in CPR, First Aid, and AED.
- Working knowledge of the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command Systems (ICS) functions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develops trust among individual staff and professional athletes.
- Strong digital literacy and ability to learn and deploy innovative software and technology.
- Confirmed ability to remain professional, poised, and calm in stressful situations.
- High integrity and ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, meet deadlines, and succeed in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to lift 75 pounds and walk, stand, and run for extended periods of time.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.