Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and 2020 NBA 2K League’s Champion Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA) in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. MSE recently opened the first ever in-arena sports book with William Hill at COA and also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Director, Fan Development is responsible for growing the Capitals impact in the community and assisting with fan development efforts. This will include NHL Platforms, Caps Care Programming, Player Initiatives, Partner Custom Solutions and support of MSE Social Impact. This position will focus on programs and initiatives that will deliver against organizational goals and showcase the Capitals commitment to the community.
Do you have experience in community outreach and are passionate about positively impacting the DMV community through sports? We would love to hear from you!
- Continue to grow the Capitals commitment to the community through Caps Care programming, player initiatives and supporting the MSE Foundation.
- Manage Capitals players’ and significant others community initiatives and appearances; develop custom programs based upon player cause related interests.
- Build fanbase through developing touchpoints with new target segments.
- Foster relationships and create unique partnerships with community partners who align with Capitals brand.
- Actively seek opportunities and build positive relationships with organizations to grow team’s engagement in the community.
- Advance the mission of NHL Platforms through developing and executing programming for Black History Month, Pride, Hockey Fights Cancer, Hockey Talks and more.
- Create impactful custom programs that align with MSE partners corporate community goals.
- Collaborate cross functionally with game presentation, public relations, and digital teams on storytelling, amplification and media engagement of community outreach programs.
- Support Capitals diversity and racial equality initiatives through engagement with the Black Hockey Committee and fundraising efforts for the Capital Impact Fund.
- Respond to inquiries from potential community partners and individual stories.
- Collaborate with Youth Hockey Development on special events and initiatives.
- Support the sales teams on group sales efforts targeted at community groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 5+ years experience working in community outreach; D.C. community experience preferred.
- Effectively communicate both internally and externally while modeling the values of Capitals in the community.
- Comfortable with community outreach, both in-person and over the phone.
- Proactively seek opportunities to improve our teams’ impact on the community.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills, able to effectively prioritize multiple events and organizational outreach efforts at once.
- Outstanding work ethic, strong desire to succeed, eagerness to learn, integrity and a passion for sports.
- Ambitious nature and positive attitude.
- Flexibility to work extended hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
All applicants for employment at Monumental Sports are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Monumental Sports will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.