Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and 2020 NBA 2K League’s Champion Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA) in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. MSE recently opened the first ever in-arena sports book with William Hill at COA and also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Creative Director is responsible for leading a team of designers on creative initiatives across Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE). This position will see projects through from conception to execution and delivery. You will be the go-to resource for our creative leadership, helping them accomplish large design, motion, and print initiatives with the intention of creating and driving the MSE standard.
Do you have strong communication and leadership skills, are detail driven, innovative and a resourceful problem-solver? We would love to hear from you!
- Take creative leadership of projects and collaborate with other Creative Directors and Designers to oversee visual ideas that ladder up to the MSE brand.
- Collaborate closely with Marketing Leads from the respective Teams to understand their business objectives and creative needs.
- Lead the development of all seasonal Team creative, support the team of designers to create compelling campaigns, and then finalizing selected campaigns into Toolkits to be used throughout the company.
- Take ideas from concept to execution, working with project managers, design colleagues, team specific marketing departments, and content experts to deliver an exciting fan experience.
- Create and manage both short and long-term creative project calendars for all Teams and Enterprises.
- Present creative concepts to Marketing and Business leaders across MSE.
- Develop the design and look (both static and motion) for creative campaigns across all MSE properties.
- Conceptualize, design, and oversee compelling cutting edge 2D and 3D motion graphics for platforms including video, digital, social, and in-game/arena presentation.
- Proactively communicate with clients to ensure clear understanding of needs and requirements, and to communicate design ideas and rationale.
- Supervise work completed by designers and motion designers to provide feedback and mentorship.
- Recruit, train, support and retain talent specializing in a variety of disciples within creative design.
- Organize and prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term needs. Timelines, budgets, and availabilities change—we need someone who can adapt.
- Manage vendor relations for production (print, outdoor, etc.).
- Oversee Design department budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, film, media, communications or related fields.
- 10+ years experience in related field with experience working with green screen footage and video.
- Proficient in InDesign, Photoshop, After Affects, Premiere a plus.
- Strong understanding of animation, timing, editing as it relates to MGFX.
- Experience working within a sports organization or network, leading interactive agency, or traditional advertising agency is a plus.
- Experience pitching and executing creative ideas for projects and prospective clients.
- A great teammate with strong ability to provide clear creative direction, timely and helpful feedback to improve creative processes to keep work on budget and schedule.
- Proven leadership skills including team building, mentoring and guiding large groups of creative talent.
- Ability to work efficiently and drive productivity with a team; excellent attention to detail.
- A portfolio demonstrating a track record of delivering highly creative and effective content.
- Strong communications skills with ability to communicate effectively in visual, verbal, and written form to teams, clients and leadership.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to positively work with a wide variety of professional staff from varied subject areas and backgrounds.
- Organized and able to prioritize and problem solve in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Must possess a highly positive and service driven approach to working both internally and externally.
- Flexibility to work non-tradition hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
All applicants for employment at Monumental Sports are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Monumental Sports will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.