Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and 2020 NBA 2K League’s Champion Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA) in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. MSE recently opened the first ever in-arena sports book with William Hill at COA and also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Associate, Monumental Basketball - Strategy & Analytics position will support the work of numerous departments in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, with a focus of supporting the Strategy and Analytics department. This person will be an active contributor the day-to-day operations of the Strategy and Analytics team and will exercise strong analytical and critical thinking skills to tackle complex basketball strategy problems by communicating your findings.
Do you have knowledge and understanding of basketball analytics and strategy and are looking to build your career in sports? We would love to hear from you!
- Design, build and improve basketball analytics data reports for the Wizards and Go-Go front office staffs to enhance basketball decision making at all levels.
- Initiate research projects and handle database updates throughout the season.
- Implement film-based data tracking for amateur and professional scouting
- Manage and maintain the salary cap data books and other salary cap/CBA-related projects.
- Design and execute systems to track department processes, projects, meetings, and activities.
- Support the Strategy and Analytics team on strategy planning, salary cap management, and draft/free agency/trade preparation.
- Support game day responsibilities, including pre-game setup, in-game statistical charting and post-game analysis reporting.
- Work collaboratively with the Monumental Basketball operations groups on projects as needed.
- Direct and support fellow Monumental Basketball Associates on projects throughout the year.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Basic knowledge of Strategy and Analytics within a basketball context.
- Good analytical skills, prior experience in modeling, analyzing, and communicating data is helpful.
- Programming experience preferred (data science related languages e.g. Python, R, SQL).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong time management and organizational skills.
- High integrity; dependable and comfortable working with confidential information.
- Strong work ethic, detail driven, creative, positive demeanor, and eagerness to learn.
- Strong people skills and enjoys collaborating with a team as part of something bigger than yourself.
- Strong Microsoft Office Skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- This position is a full-time non-exempt one-year entry level associate program to support the Washington Wizards and Monumental Basketball.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.