Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and NBA 2K League’s Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. MSE also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company.
As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Assistant General Manager, Arena Operations (AGM) is responsible for the execution of Capital One Arena’s back of house operations. This role directly leads the internal Building Operations, Technical and Broadcast Operations (TBOPS), and Event Production departments and also manages the relationship with JLL Building Engineers, Aramark Facilities, and Laz Parking subcontractors. The AGM is responsible for the configuration of the arena, backstage logistics, game presentation, audio/ video, and execution of all arena events.
Are you an experienced building operations executive with a passion for empowering your staff and progressive thinking? We would love to hear from you!
- Foster a culture of positivity, creativity, and progressiveness in the sports and entertainment field.
- Supervise employees in the operations, technical broadcast and operations, and event production teams.
- Manage relationships with operational subcontractors for engineering, cleaning, and parking.
- Operational liaison between Capital One Arena and all potential tenants and/or professional sports teams.
- Ensure building is configured correctly and efficiently for all various tenant and third-party events.
- Prepare annual budget and approve revenue/expenditures.
- Collaborate with other arena and team departments to ensure delivery of quality services and to resolve operational inconsistencies.
- Oversee SEIU and IATSE contracts and union management.
- Establish crew calls and maintain a pool of stagehands through IATSE to ensure accurate coverage for events.
- Lead and empower the staff responsible for game day needs (marketing, sponsorship, ticket sales events, etc), arena, and concert production.
- Supervise major capital expenditure construction projects and installations.
- Coordinate both internal and external broadcasts of live events.
- Attain building specific certifications like LEED and GBAC Star.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 10+ years experience in building operations and staff management.
- "Big picture thinking" skills to address executive-level decisions, using quantitative and qualitative reasoning, to determine best path forward.
- Strong interpersonal skills to communicate with senior leaders, employees of all levels, and partners.
- A detailed understanding of financial and budgeting principles of the live entertainment industry.
- Flexibility to quickly and effectively respond to shifting business needs and adjust initiatives and priorities accordingly.
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while understanding the time crunch associated with live events.
- Ability to mentor, train and empower employees with fresh ideas and insights.
- Experience with building HVAC portfolios, Ice/ Refrigeration Equipment, and capital improvement/ construction projects.
- Experience with LEDs, scoreboards, game presentation elements and all things Audio/Video.
- Flexibility to work evenings, weekends, and occasional holidays as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.