Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE), located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates five professional sports teams: the 2019 WNBA Champion Washington Mystics, the 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA's Washington Wizards, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, and 2020 NBA 2K League’s Champion Wizards District Gaming. The company is also co-owner of aXiomatic, which has controlling interest in global esports franchise Team Liquid, and owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA) in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University's campus. In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in a new sports and entertainment facility in Southeast DC on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus that opened in September 2018. Facility highlights include MedStar Wizards Performance Center, the brand-new training facility for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the new home of the Mystics and Go-Go. MSE recently opened the first ever in-arena sports book with William Hill at COA and also co-owns and operates Monumental Sports Network (MSN) with the NBC Sports Group. MSN is the mid-Atlantic region’s top destination for exclusive fan experiences and original sports content across desktop, tablet, mobile and OTT streaming devices. Visit www.monumentalsports.com.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: Ready to join an extraordinary team of hardworking designers, creators and innovators? Monumental Design serves as the in-house creative agency for MSE. Our work is focused on brand and campaign design, digital marketing, print and collateral marketing, promotional marketing and in-arena marketing. The Monumental Design team is a fast-paced, high volume agency that is deadline focused.
The Art Director position is responsible for planning, creating, and delivering Team brand and seasonal campaigns as well as their corresponding executions across print, digital, OOH, and in-arena. This position supervises a team of five designers and is responsible for their deliverables, timely performance, mentorship, and growth. This role focuses on both long-term creative design & planning projects as well as short-term, last-minute creative needs.
Are you an experienced designer who is deadline driven and is enthusiastic about leading a creative team to accomplish business objectives? We would love to hear from you!
- Build and maintain both short and long-term creative project calendars for all Teams and Enterprises.
- Collaborate closely with marketing team leads to understand specific business objectives and creative needs.
- Lead the development of all seasonal Team creative while supporting the team of designers to build compelling campaigns and then finalizing selected campaigns into Toolkits to be used throughout the company.
- Take ideas from concept to implementation, working with project managers, design colleagues, team specific marketing departments, and content specialists to deliver an outstanding fan experience.
- Collaborate with designers across the company, including Video Productions, Digital Departments, and Partnership Activation teams.
- Lead the ongoing Team brand creative, creating executions that support the Team master brand.
- Present creative concepts to internal marketing and business leaders.
- Supervise all department content in order to mentor, encourage, and provide feedback for growth.
- Recruit, mentor, and train members of the design team specializing in a variety of disciples within creative design.
- Handle vendor relations for production (print, outdoor, etc.).
- Lead all aspects of Design department budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 5+ years of professional design experience.
- Experience leading and supporting a creative team.
- Mastery of the Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects.
- Experience with CMS systems and website creation platforms including Wix and Square-space is helpful.
- Ability to clearly present design concepts and ideas.
- A portfolio of previous design work to showcase experience and creativity.
- Strong work ethic and a desire to meet client expectations.
- Positive, results driven, and an excellent teammate.
- Flexibility to work extended hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.