Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE) is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates seven major and minor sports teams: 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA’s Washington Wizards, WNBA’s 2019 Championship Washington Mystics, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, 2021 & 2020 NBA 2K League Champion Wizards District Gaming and Caps Gaming, an esports sub-brand of the Capitals. Additionally, it holds a significant investment in a seventh professional team, Team Liquid, an endemic esports team owned and operated by aXiomatic, in which MSE is an investor.
In September 2022, MSE acquired the regional sports network, then-called NBC Sports Washington and newly rebranded as Monumental Sports Network. Monumental Sports Network now holds the exclusive local television media rights to Capitals’, Wizards’, and Mystics’ games. The network is both a linear channel and a digital operation. Prior to acquiring the linear platform, the digital platform was launched by MSE in 2016, as the first-of-its-kind regional sports network for digital, mobile, and streaming platforms. Those linear and digital platforms are now combined and join Caps Radio, Wizards Radio, MSE Outdoor and Monumental Productions for a full suite of six media enterprises.
In addition to Capital One Arena – a venue which hosts 3M+ visitors across over 250 events annually, MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex (training facility for the Capitals), MedStar Health Performance Center (training facility for the Wizards, Mystics, and Go-Go) and EagleBank Arena (a 12,000+ live event venue on George Mason University’s campus).
In July 2020, MSE partnered with William Hill (subsequently acquired by Caesars Entertainment) to open the first ever in-arena sportsbook in North America, now called Caesars Sportsbook. The space now also boasts a destination culinary experience, Guy Fieri’s DC Kitchen + Bar.
MSE opened “District E powered by Ticketmaster” in the spring of 2023, a flagship esports and entertainment venue. This 14,000-square-foot live-event theater offers a 365-day-a-year series of immersive experiences in esports, music, culinary excellence, event programming, and community events.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies, and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Director, Venue Operations will assist with all phases of the venue operations department with particular focus on basketball events (Wizards & Georgetown) along with other special events.
Are you passionate and hard working with strong communication skills? We'd love to hear from you!
- Maintain proficiency in NBA and NCAA basketball operational requirements.
- Work with Event Productions department to ensure accuracy of basketball set-up.
- Hire, train, and schedule part-time union staff for basketball game duty on a bi-weekly basis.
- Assist with designing and planning arena set-up for non-basketball events as assigned.
- Oversee maintenance program for all basketball related equipment.
- Assist event manager with liaison efforts with Wizards and Georgetown basketball.
- Ensure player and guest safety when the arena is set in basketball configuration.
- Assist with maintaining employee records and updating department policies and procedures.
- Assist with managing and implementing department’s disciplinary system.
- Requisition tools, supplies, and equipment as needed for the event basketball crew.
- Maintain basketball-related equipment inventory.
- Assist with collaborating and communicating with Overnight Conversion Managers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years of applicable NBA, NCAA, large venue or equivalent league experience.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience staffing including hiring, training, and scheduling is a plus.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, scaffolds, stairs and work in confined spaces and in proximity to loud equipment. Ability to regularly lift 25 lbs. and occasionally lift 50 lbs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.