Monumental Sports & Entertainment (MSE) located in Washington, D.C., is one of the largest integrated sports and entertainment companies in the country with one of the most diverse partnership groups in all of sports. MSE owns and operates six professional sports teams: 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals, NBA’s Washington Wizards, WNBA’s 2019 Champion Washington Mystics, NBA G League’s Capital City Go-Go, the 2021 & 2020 NBA 2K League Champion Wizards District Gaming and Caps Gaming, an esports sub-brand of the Capitals. Additionally, it holds a significant investment in a seventh team, Team Liquid, an endemic esports team owned and operated by aXiomatic.
In September 2022, MSE acquired full ownership of NBC Sports Washington from Comcast and NBCUniversal and now holds the exclusive local television media rights to Capitals’ and Wizards’ games. The integration is underway including extensive renovations to a new, pioneering production and broadcasting space to deliver seamless experiences on linear and digital platforms for fans. Under the terms of the agreement, MSE also acquired Comcast and NBCUniversal’s remaining interest in Monumental Sports Network, a first-of-its-kind regional sports network for digital, mobile and over-the-top platforms that launched in 2016.
Monumental Sports owns and operates Capital One Arena (COA), a 20,000+ capacity live event venue in Washington, D.C. MSE also manages MedStar Capitals Iceplex, the state-of-the-art training facility for the Capitals and EagleBank Arena on George Mason University’s campus.
In conjunction with the District of Columbia and Events DC, MSE is a partner in Entertainment & Sports Arena (ESA), in Southeast D.C. on the St. Elizabeth’s East campus which opened in September 2018. ESA houses the MedStar Health Performance Center, the training center for the Wizards, Go-Go and Mystics, and a 4,200-seat arena which serves as the home of the Mystics and Go-Go.
In July 2020, MSE opened the first ever in-arena sportsbook in North America, through a partnership with then William Hill (now Caesars Entertainment), with a temporary location set-up within the COA lobby. The permanent location for the Caesars Sportsbook by William Hill opened within COA in May 2021.
And in January 2022, MSE announced it would be opening District E, powered by Ticketmaster, in the first quarter of 2023. This flagship venue for esports and entertainment is the largest on the East Coast: a premier, nearly 14,000-square-foot live-event theater offering a 365-day-a-year, series of immersive experiences in esports, music, event programming, and community events – along with pre- and post-event activations for fans attending Capitals and Wizards games or events. This space will entertain hundreds for independent events, offer an extraordinary culinary experience, and will create a best-in-class competition and training venue for the MSE esports franchises which it owns, operates, and invests in.
MSE proudly promotes its core values for all those that interact with the company. As a member of our team:
- You will provide first-class customer service and value for our fans.
- You will champion a double-bottom line that engages, unifies and gives back to the community we serve.
- You will work tirelessly to build generationally exceptional teams that compete for championships year after year and create lifelong memories for our fans.
- You will measure performance with specific objectives and metrics and our analysis and decisions are compelled by data.
- You will prize leadership, but you should value teamwork and collaboration and transparency even more. We treat each other with respect. We act with honesty and integrity. We remain humble.
- You will innovate. We are nimble and first to market. We are not averse to risk.
- You will have fun. We are in the business of happiness.
Position Overview: The Senior Vice President will lead the Engineering and Technology organization. This role is vital to our passion of continuous improvement and innovation, while ensuring system security is an integral part of system design and deployment.
Are you an experienced, hands-on leader with the energy and experience to lead through change? We'd love to hear from you!
- Establish design principles, define our approach to system design and implementation, and work multi-functionally to see smooth transitions of systems to our production environments.
- Establish critical metrics and other success measurements to define success for the group.
- Collaborate and form partnerships with key functions and senior leaders from across the organization.
- Drive thought leadership on technology deployment and opportunities for the platform.
- Identify key skills and capabilities needed on the team; recruit, develop, and retain premier talent.
- Serve as the executive sponsor committed to driving quality and consistency in engineering development principles and practices; determine and implement best-in-class techniques, processes, and documentation practices.
- Break down complex technical problems and make decisions through a team driven approach based on requirements, forwarding looking architectures and business needs and creating consensus with other leaders.
- Develop and manage the capital and operating expense budgets, including headcount.
- Develop staff to improve efficiency and align with their individual development and career goals.
- Partner with strategic technology service providers and vendors on solutioning, technology roadmap alignment, and meeting 1-3-5-year plans.
- Communicate effectively throughout the organization, using communication and project management tools to ensure alignment on projects and results.
- Provide purpose, context, and direction to team members on projects, encouraging ownership and personal accountability.
- Work with Program/Project Management group to align on tools and processes to ensure there is full visibility of teams loading, specific tasks required to complete a project and understand the critical path items to track, driving agility and reduction of friction in the process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 12+ years' experience in technical and architectural leadership on hybrid cloud platforms, orchestration and automation, software and cloud architecture experience as well as security experience.
- 5+ years of experience in building enterprise media and broadcast solutions and infrastructure.
- 10+ years of people leadership experience; demonstrated ability to recruit, mentor, coach, and develop individual contributors and leaders.
- 15+ years project budget management experience.
- Solid grasp to support physical architecture on private/public cloud, serverless & cloud native designs, as well as micro-services-based architecture.
- BSEE, BSEET, or BSCS.
- Demonstrated ability to propose and implement a best-in-class, scalable, enterprise automation solutions.
- Possesses deep technical competence; takes a detailed but practical approach to technical design and execution of large projects.
All applicants for employment at Monumental Sports are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Monumental Sports will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.