Title: Broadcast Director
Company: N3rd Street Gamers
Location: NSG Headquarters - Philadelphia, PA
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer (w/dotted line to Chief Product Officer)
Supervises: NSG Production Team (2-3 individuals)
Status: Full-Time; Salaried; Exempt
EEO: First/Mid-Level Official and Manager
N3rd Street Gamers provides opportunity for gamers to gain experience in competitive esports competitions, and they also are home to a community of like minded amateur competitors. The Broadcast Director is responsible for leading our Broadcast Production & Event Operations team through all phases of end to end production and live event execution for N3rd Street Gamers’ events and tournaments, including the National Championship Series (NCS).
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead Broadcast Production & Event Operations team through all phases of end to end production and live event execution for N3rd Street Gamers’ flagship brand, National Championship Series (NCS).
- Help create an ambitious roadmap and scale the digital and physical versions of N3rd Street Gamers highlighting the best of the NCS. Focus areas will extend from pre-production, production design, logistics management, vendor selection/management, venue selection/management, labor booking, on site execution, and all post event responsibilities including post-mortems, payments and reporting.
- As a team leader, you will help lead and grow an expanding team of talented production and event professionals.
- Lead a team of producers and media associates in day to day execution of online broadcasts and long range planning of live in-person events.
- Define operational priorities, and drive flawless performance identifying risks early, planning contingencies and reacting to issues in real time to solve problems.
- Responsible for developing and refining production workflows and department standards for online tournament broadcasts and enforce those standards to ensure quality across all of our verticals.
- Organize teams efforts for efficiency and quality to bring to life all live performance and physical aspects of our teams content and experiential vision.
- Aggressively drive the operation of new and innovative competition formats from conception to implementation, in partnership with NCS League Operations.
- Build a wide network of external partners to assist the team in delivering the best events possible.
- Manage scheduling, bandwidth, and resource allocation for a portfolio of competition products in which you will be the primary operations stakeholder
- Help shape every NCS event project as a senior voice and guiding hand to determine the how of our projects all over the country.
- Constantly identify opportunities for improvement in an effort to constantly raise the quality of shows and events.
- Create budgets and monitor costs throughout ongoing life of a tournament and for new tournaments and events.
- Represent NSG to publishers and key production partners in person at major live events
- Ability to travel as needed.
Non Essential Job Functions:
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- BS in Broadcast Production, Event Production and/or equivalent.
- 10+ years of experience in live broadcasting, streaming, gaming or event production.
- Proven track record of leadership within live studio and remote broadcast productions demonstrating an ability to take a creative concept and build organized structure around it.
- Working knowledge of all control room and studio disciplines including but not limited to cameras, lighting, graphics, video switching, audio, conceptual routing.
- Experience with multi-day live-spectator events with over 1,000+ audience attendees (If you can provide sizzle/showreels, all the better).
- A creative spark and passion for building ground breaking esports events which challenge the boundaries of anything that exists in the marketplace today.
- A willingness and availability to travel.
- A deep rolodex of contacts and endemic knowledge of how to use that rolodex to fill gaps. And as our workload scales, you know the best professionals in the industry to whom we can outsource this work as needed.
- Experience directly with esports live events.
- A native grasp of esports culture and lingo. As our leading event operations voice, you’ll be intersecting with game developers and industry professionals in ways that go beyond the nuts and bolts of production.
- A network of esports and general gaming connections.
- An active Twitch presence as a broadcaster, moderator, etc.
Skills and Abilities:
- Superb time management and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to adapt and scale quickly in a fast moving, high growth environment.
- Ability to oversee multiple projects independently.
- Ability to meet budgets, timelines, and work in a high pressure environment.
- Exceptional ability to project manage, think backwards, and plan for results
- The interpersonal skills required to navigate a multiple-stakeholder environment as part of a cross-functional team. You know how to get buy-in from all levels while continuing to drive success within your own team
- A proven track record of creating and improving processes. You don’t just inhabit a role; you make it better, and are willing to help others improve their roles as well
- The forethought to thoughtfully escalate problem areas in advance. You aren’t afraid to ask for help early, and we won’t penalize you for raising concerns
- A wealth of clever ideas to remove or work around project blockers. You believe process is important, but not at the expense of results
- Proficient in MS Office or Google Office Applications (Sheets, Slides, Documents).
Intellectual/Social, Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is continuously asked to multi-task under time limits. Position requires constant attention to precise details and accuracy of specified standards including: following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. Employees in this role will constantly be in leadership roles; this requires directing others either verbally or in writing to complete tasks in prescribed time frame. This position also requires constant use of interpersonal skills including: ability to direct/motivate/inform staff and foster collaboration, being able to recognize and resolve conflicts, being able to openly communicate in writing and verbally with clients.
- While performing the essential functions of the job, the employee constantly operates a computer and other office devices such as telephones, copy machines, fax machines, etc; occasionally moves about inside the office to access storage areas, cabinets and office machinery; constantly moves about the arena and event sites before, during and after events to service clients and supervise staff; constantly communicates via telephone, email and in-person with others to exchange accurate information.
- The duties of this position are performed indoors and occasionally outdoors in the weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud during events and minimal during non-even times.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.