The purpose of this position is to present field trip programs for a fixed period during the spring and fall semesters. The position must assist the department to ensure the educational mission of the Indiana State Fair Commission is realized through exceptional onsite programming through field trip delivery.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Deliver set lesson plans to participants attending The BARNS field trips within indicated allotted time, communicating approved agricultural messaging.
2. Gain confidence in classroom management skills, teaching skills, communication skills and logistics of working with large groups through eight weeks of immersion in an educational teaching environment that fits into class schedule.
3. Interact with participants in an upbeat and positive manor. Work with different age groups and types of people. Presenter will need to make schoolteachers and chaperoning adults feel included by seamlessly soliciting their help to assist with presentation activities as well as maintaining discipline with participants.
4. Assure that participants exercise safe practices such as hand washing, not running, etc., in a positive non-punitive manner.
1. Trouble-Shooting Skills: Understand the need to stay calm, pleasant and in control. Must be a quick thinker with the ability to examine a problem situation and come up with a solution in a prompt and professional manner.
2. Excellent Communication Skills: Must be able to communicate in a constructive non-complaining manner with clientele, the Director of Education and other team members.
3. Team Player Attitude: Willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
4. High energy level: Responds well to demands and enthusiastic to educate others about Indiana Agriculture; works at a brisk pace; is a punctual self-starter, multi-tasker and is self-motivated.
· Experience interacting or programming with youth.
· Background in or willingness to gain knowledge about agriculture is preferred.