Hurricane Junior Golf Tour
Title: Operations Intern
Semester: Fall 2018 (Late August - December)
Application Deadline: July 1, 2018
The Hurricane Junior Golf Tour (HJGT) was founded in 2007 with the intention of providing junior golfers between the ages of 8-18 an opportunity to play exceptional courses in a competitive environment. The tour’s vision is to provide superb hospitality and make every event a memorable one. With play open to both males and females, nearly every junior golfer is eligible to participate on the Hurricane Junior Golf Tour. Currently the HJGT is the largest junior golf tour in the United States hosting more 2-day nationally ranked events than any other tour.
In 2017, the Hurricane Junior Golf Tour announced a partnership with Nexus, an international hospitality and entertainment company backed by financier Joe Lewis and Tavistock Group, golfing great Tiger Woods and musician and entertainer Justin Timberlake, which will further our collective goal of growing the game of golf, broadening the Tour’s reach across the U.S. and around the world.
The HJGT is seeking qualified candidates to fill the position of Operations Intern. Under the direct supervision and mentorship of HJGT Tournament Directors and Staff Members, Interns will learn how to operate golf tournaments through their active involvement with all aspects of tournament operations, from course setup to course breakdown. No more than 4 interns to 1 full time tournament director.
The internship will provide direct hands on training and require extensive travel every weekend across the country, including: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, Missouri, Illinois, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Texas, Minnesota, Iowa, California, Arizona, New Jersey, and North Carolina. When interns are not traveling, they will be provided Business Operations training at the HJGT Headquarters through hands on learning and development provided by the Senior Leadership team. There are 6 operations teams across of the country. 2 of them live in full time housing which is in FL or GA while the other 4 teams are travel teams and they live in hotels during the duration of their program. Travel teams spend 1 full week in each city they visit.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES & DUTIES:
- Pre- and Post Event-Press Releases
- Extensive customer service
- Website Updates
- Sales and Marketing of Tour and Upcoming Tournaments
- Create and monitor Social Media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, You Tube)
- Tour Promotions
- Tournament Set-Up and Preparation Includes, but is not limited to:
- Marking of Golf Course
- Tee and Hole Locations
- Scoreboard Set-Up
- Utility Set-Up
- Tournament Duties Includes, but is not limited to:
- Starting and Scoring of Players
- On Course Rules Officiating
- Pace of Play Management
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- This is an unpaid internship and is for college credit only. Your institution will decide the amount of credits. All interns must be enrolled in at least one credit to apply.
- All interns will receive 100% free housing in either Orlando, FL, Conyers, GA, or by living on a travel team which stays in hotels during the duration of their program. Housing includes:
- Washer and Dryer
- Internet and TV
- Employee discounts on most major golf equipment and apparel (Generally 30-50% off retail)
- Resume building workshops
- Career planning sessions with HJGT Leadership Team
- Letters of Recommendation from management and upper management
- Networking events
- Hands on experience learning every aspect of tournament operations, retail marketing, and video productions
- Travel the country and gain a once in a lifetime experience through hands on training. The HJGT will cover most travel expenses and housing. The following items will be provided by the HJGT:
1. Hotel Accommodations
2. Van transportation to and from tournament
5. Discounted or FREE golf at host venues. All travel teams get 1 FREE round of golf each week at our host venues.
6. Most meals while traveling to and from tournaments.
There are countless benefits to participating in the HJGT internship. Interns will meet and interact with many people and get to know the future stars of the PGA and LPGA tours. Interns will be around influential and successful sponsors, parents, and spectators. Interns will also work closely with golf professionals, directors of golf and course superintendents. The networking opporintities are endless.
In addition to the contacts made, the internship also serves as an opportunity to obtain full time employment with the HJGT or through its network. This internship is unlike many other programs because of the hands on experience you will receive. Interns will be given daily tasks that have a big impact on the organization. You will learn how to manage people, manage departments, and problem solve in a fast and fun environment.