The mission of the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission is to measurably enhance the economy, image, and quality of life in the Greater Cleveland community by attracting and creating significant sporting events and activities.
As an Event Management intern, you will:
- Attend on-site visits and walk through
- Assist with the preparation of all event logistics (venue management, signage, hospitality, transportation, food & beverage, volunteers, etc.)
- Assist with budget management
- Aid in the recruitment and training of volunteers
- Assist full-time staff with on-site event management/operations
- Assist with Greater Cleveland Sports Commission events, including
- USA Wrestling UWW Fila & Cadet Nationals - May 31 - June 3rd
- USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals - August 10th - 12th
- Aid in the planning and logistics for future hosted events
Other duties include:
- Assisting full-time staff with day to day operations
- Aiding in the distribution of marketing and promotional materials
- Researching and targeting perspective areas to host events
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Prior experience with event management/operations preferred
- Able to work independently & think critically
- Must be enrolled in an accredited College/University (undergraduate or post-graduate program) or have recently completed (6-months).
Ways you will benefit:
· Opportunity to network with area professionals
· Actively take part in the planning and hosting of sporting events
· Gain experience in the fields of marketing, public relations, and event planning & management
· An extensive professional development program, learning aspects of professional communication, resume building, job search and networking with industry professionals.
· The Sports Commission offers on the job training in various aspects of the Sports & Entertainment industry as well as a robust professional development program
Due to the nature of the organization, our projects and events are rarely the same; the internship experience depends entirely on the current happenings of the Sports Commission.
Work Hours- Intern work hours are determined based upon individual schedules and range from 20 - 40 hours per week. If the student is receiving college credit for the internship, the college or university will determine work hours for the student, up to 40 hours per week. The Sports Commission Staff is flexible in terms of exact work hours, however requires that a loose schedule be created in advance.
Compensation-The Greater Cleveland Sports Commission offers a stipend to interns (amount to be determined). Interns will be paid monthly and will not receive overtime pay.
Transportation and Parking-
Transportation and parking are not provided or reimbursable by the Sports Commission. Interns may use the RTA system (the central station is located in Tower City) or may drive and park for approximately $4 per day in some locations. RTA schedules and routes can be found at www.riderta.com
Supervision-The Events Manager serves as the active supervisor for the internship program. However, most day to day activities will be assigned and monitored by other staff members. Interns must be able to establish close working relationships with all staff members. A general respect both for and from the intern are expected and required.