AviatorSports a premier sports and recreation complex located at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, New York is currently searching for a Golf Superintendent who would be able to work with our new Executive Par-3 Golf Course located at Riis Park, Queens and Aviator’s Golf Center in Brooklyn which includes 75 stalls (25 which are heated) a putting green, chipping area, practice bunker, miniature golf course and a large natural grass tee area.
Responsible for operation of the golf course operation and maintenance. The responsibilities include: turf grass/plant material maintenance programs, property/asset management, personnel management, budget/forecasting, financial management, member relations, scheduling/maintenance or irrigation systems, pesticide applications, related recordings, and compliance of regulatory issues. The Golf Course Superintendent works to create an environment where staff is involved and enthusiastic, with open communications and respect for themselves, members, guests and the property.
- Responsible for all phases of Golf Maintenance and Agronomic operations, cost control, and personnel.
- Directs and participates in the construction and maintenance of the grounds.
- Designs landscape plans for facility grounds and implements the plan.
- Must be able to work independently and be a self-starting problem solver.
Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees the care and maintenance of the turf, ornamental plants, shrubs, trees and wetlands on the facility grounds.
- Directs and assists the staff on the planting of new vegetation, the replacement, spraying, pruning and trimming of trees and shrubs, the preparation of soil plant beds for aesthetically pleasing arrangements and tending to high stress areas.
- Provides detailed annual plan for the various property levels and the designated landscaping areas. Includes rotational design to provide facility with fresh, eye-catching, interesting and pleasant atmosphere.
- Manages an aggressive water usage tracking plan and irrigation systems and provides monthly reporting on retaining ponds, wells and other water source usage.
- Recruits, supervises and retains maintenance staff.
- Provides technical, operational and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on Aviator’s grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course.
- Develops annual operating budget and plans for maintenance and capital improvement projects.
- Maintains records and completes required reporting. Order parts, supplies and equipment as needed.
- Schedules maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
- Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities when necessary.
· Work with Aviator’s maintenance department for all forms maintenance tasks such as cleaning, and repairs on golf equipment
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Knowledge of management and maintenance of greens, fairways and roughs.
- Knowledge of use and operating standards of equipment and tools used in golf course construction and maintenance work.
- Skill in recruiting, supervising, training, monitoring, evaluating and motivating personnel.
- Interpersonal skill to resolve conflict and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members and the general public.
- Knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- Ability and knowledge to lay out irrigation patterns, drainage patterns, construct tees and/or greens.
- 3-5 years experience as a Golf Superintendent or 1st Assistant
- A 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, soil science) would be helpful.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Pesticide Application License
- Prefer Certification by the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America
Qualification/Requirements: Fundamental knowledge of the game of golf and facility operations. Strong organizational and time management skills. Maintain and promote a positive professional image within the community. Must be available to work a flexible schedule including evenings/weekends.
Our fully funded company is able to provide a comprehensive benefit package and we are seeking an experienced and energetic individual to join our team. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, or disabling condition.