Note: this job is closed to new applications.
Golden 1 Center – Home of the NBA’s Sacramento Kings is the world’s most technologically advanced and environmentally conscientious arena. The 17,608-seat arena is the first indoor arena to be LEED Platinum Certified ranking it in the top three percent of all high-performance buildings in the world. It is the first indoor area to be powered entirely by solar energy. Golden 1 Center is also the only arena in the NBA that’s made a sustainable food sourcing commitment with 90% of the food coming from farms and business within 150 miles of the arena and meets strict quality control standards.
The Executive Chef is responsible for directing and administering the planning, preparation, production and control of all culinary operations. This person is expected to uphold the Food & Sustainability Charter as written and continue to support the supply chain of local producers in place. It is very important that this individual can embrace this which will be critical to their success.
GOLDEN 1 CENTER FOOD & SUSTAINABILITY CHARTER
OUR MISSION: To build a one-of-a-kind, hyper-local food and sustainability program for a world-class sports and entertainment venue.
OUR PROMISE: We are committed to raising the level of quality, freshness and flavor of food served to the millions of fans who will gather at Golden 1 Center each year.
OUR PROGRAM: We will achieve our Mission and fulfill our Promise by delivering on the following commitments:
- AUTHENTIC LOCAL SOURCING: We aim to source 90 percent of our culinary ingredients from growers and producers operating within a 150-mile radius of Golden 1 Center.
- MENU SEASONALITY: We will embrace seasonality. Our recipes and menus will feature locally and abundantly harvested, ripe ingredients at the peak of flavor and freshness.
- GOOD, CLEAN & FAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES: We will partner with farmers, growers and producers who produce in a good, clean and fair manner consistent with the Slow Food ethos.
- POSITIVE ECONOMIC IMPACT: Our program will focus primarily on the priority of providing a positive focus on the priority of providing a positive economic impact. The scale of our work for the community allows us the privilege of making a meaningful impact where we do business by helping create more local jobs and keeping dollars in the Sacramento community.
- QUANTITY AND SUPPLY MANAGEMENT: We will ensure that our partner producers maintain proper supply and quality levels to meet our demand and we will work with growers to help them plan their business and scale accordingly.
- SUPPORT OF HUNGER RELIEF: We will donate all allowable leftover food to local food banks and charities.
- EFFICIENT, SUSTAINABLE WASTE MANAGEMENT: Our concession operations will strive to use only compostable and biodegradable disposable containers along with an onsite biodigester to reduce green waste and the need to transport to landfills or remote composting facilities.
- SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION: Golden 1 Center will serve as an education hub for youth and adults to learn about food sustainability.
- GUIDANCE FROM WORLD SUSTAINABILITY LEADERS AND INNOVATORS: Our advisory board, comprised of leaders and innovators across the food value chain, will guide us in our Mission
- CONTINUAL GUEST ENGAGEMENT WITH SUSTAINABLE INNOVATION: Our guests will be active participants in fulfilling our Mission and Promise.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, with a minimum of 7 years of experience as an Executive Chef. He or She must be passionate about innovation and possess the ability to translate the latest culinary trends into high volume service delivery. The person will be a self-proclaimed “foodie” understands the importance of the culinary experience as it relates to a customer’s overall satisfaction while attending an event.
Preference will be given to candidates having worked in star rated or high concept restaurants. The candidates ideally will have international exposure. The candidate must be hands on and possess the skills to train and motivate the personnel working with him/her.
Primary responsibilities for the Executive Chef are as follows:
- People and product focused hands on management of day to day operations of all food outlet kitchens. Implements and enforces all departmental and organizational policies and procedures. Assures staff compliance with all standards, policies and procedures.
- Managing associates utilizing Sous Chefs and Lead Cooks through planning and scheduling of work assignments and performance development. Administers corrective counseling process, training and development, appraisals, payroll accountability.
- Plan innovative menus, maintaining fiscal responsibility for the menu mix. Analyze menu and food costs and the preparation of cost and quality efficient menus/specials. Prepare reports regarding food and menu analysis.
- Prepare cost saving annual budgets and ensure all fiscal responsibilities are met.
- Oversees inventory management to assure all outlets are adequately supplied at all times. Performs periodic inventory. Requisitioning and Purchasing. Maintains effective vendor relationships.
- Oversees the sanitation standards of all kitchens to assure compliance with local health department standards and company standards.
- Responsible for operation of the F&B department in the absence of the Director of Operations.
- Direct interaction with high-level clients.
- Responsible for managing/overseeing all production, operation and sanitation aspects of all culinary and stewarding operations throughout property.
- Oversees all culinary employees to achieve budgetary, food quality and customer service expectations.
- Creates/develops recipes, dishes, etc. and any additional requirements of the property.
- Manages the hiring, scheduling, training, mentoring and disciplinary action, if required, for all employees.
- Assists in ensuring schedules are complete based on a forecast.
- Regular quality assurance and quality control inspections in order to maintain cleanliness of all back of the house areas; keeps equipment in proper working order.
- Maintain food, labor and other expenses at budgeted levels.
- Must communicate and work closely with Director of Operations and VP Operations.
- Maintain a consistent high-level of food quality kitchen productivity, and line of supply.
- Cross-train those within your department while encouraging, reinforcing and supporting your peers and team.
- Demonstrates competent product knowledge by correct storing and handling of all perishables, maintaining quality, security, value and integrity.
- Other duties as assigned.
Intellectual & Commercial Competencies:
Commercial Perspective. Has a good appreciation of and is up to date with industry developments. Understands how his/her role and professional function supports the overall needs of the venue. Always maintains an entrepreneurial outlook.
Builds Competitive Advantage: Aligns practices with business strategy, demonstrates financial acumen, manages and redesigns processes for optimum value.
Data Processing. Quick and accurate when evaluating verbal & numerical information. Uses sound financial analysis to evaluate options. Can draw accurate business conclusions from disparate pieces of information.
As an integral member of the company the candidate must exemplify the highest standards of honesty, integrity and discretion. The individual should be detailed oriented, self-confident and motivated and possess the ability to work diligently and independently. They should have a very positive attitude and drive new ideas.
Integrity. Demonstrates honesty, reliability, ethics & professionalism. Demonstrates consistency between words & behavior.
Self Confidence. Handles difficult situations with poise and self-assurance. Demonstrates emotional stability and humility. Calm and controlled under pressure. Resilient in the face of setbacks. Surrounds self with quality people and values their opinions.
Self-Motivation. Committed to working extended days and enduring demanding schedules. Willing to let work issues impact on personal activities & time where necessary. Wants to have an impact on the success of the business.
Professional Interaction. Able to interact confidently with a wide range of people – Owners, Director of Operations, Customers, internal colleagues, adapting easily to different cultures & personalities. Develops network of contacts. Sensitive and diplomatic in difficult situations.
Fosters Teamwork. Works collaboratively with others to achieve common goals, serves effectively in both team leader & team member roles, and promotes collaboration & teamwork in others.
Leads by Example. Fosters a common vision. Leads by example. Agrees and sets realistic goals with team. Monitors individual performance and gives constructive feedback. Works through others, empowering them to take responsibility for implementation of activities, while coaching & guiding. Reacts quickly to under-performance.
Influencing & Communicating. Able to build support for Change. Open, honest & clear when communicating key messages. Able to persuade others by logical argument, clear presentation of facts, and personal style. Able to produce succinct and fluent written documents.
Attracts & Retains Talent. Attract & retains high-performing individuals, communicating views about performance honestly & directly while consistently recognizing & rewarding good performance.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience as an Executive Chef in a high-volume food industry
- Must have a degree or certification from an accredited culinary arts institute, or apprenticeship certification from the American Culinary Federation.
- Must be flexible to work extended hours due to business requirements including late nights, weekends and holidays.
- High Volume Banquet and Fine Dining Experience
- Excellent Leadership and team development skills
- Must have experience with P&L and budgeting processes
- Proven track record of improving kitchen efficiencies, quality, food and labor costs.
- Must have experience with Menu Development
- Must have knowledge of kitchen sanitation, operation and maintenance of kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to work any day of the week and any shift, including holidays and weekends.
- Participate in weekly meeting schedule with key team members
- Attend all construction meetings
- Establish sponsorship relationships with sales team and vendors
- Coordinate permits with venue leadership and Legends legal department
- Coordinate HAACP plan for stadium
- Coordinate food waste program
- Establish relationships in local chefs’ associations
- Work with Legends HR department to recruit and hire culinary management team
- Consult on ongoing construction development
- Build small-ware specs and orders
- Maintain supplier relationships
- Orchestrate menu R&D and tastings
How did you hear about this job?