Develop & oversee a comprehensive medical & sports science program for the Colorado Rapids Soccer club to ensure that our sports science and sports medicine departments achieve best practice in the areas of athletic development, recovery, injury prevention and rehabilitation within the guidelines established by the Colorado Rapids, Major League Soccer, and US Soccer.
· Develop, communicate and manage Colorado Rapids Sports Science, Sports Medicine & Performance Operations ensuring all practices are consistent with world class philosophies through regular evaluations, research and development.
· Lead and manage all stakeholders related to Sports Science, Sports Medicine & High Performance, including, not limited to: Internal staff, MLS Athletic Trainers, MLS Strength & Conditioning Coach/Performance Analyst, Development Academy Athletic Trainer, Medical intern, and External consultants
· Over-sight of all Programs related to High Performance, including, but not limited to:
Periodization of Training & Load Monitoring, Strength and Conditioning, Injury Rehabilitation & Return to play protocols, Warm-up/Cool Down for Practice and Games, Nutrition and Supplementation, Sleep & Recovery, Training & Match Analysis, Travel
· Monitor Athlete Performance:
Build and manage reporting mechanisms for athlete training & match performance; Acquire and manage technology to monitor athlete training & match performance; Design and administer health and wellness feedback mechanisms; Design and administer KPIs for all athletes; Analyze results of multiple sources of data collection; Provide athletes with all necessary information to ensure compliance with anti-doping and other MLS, US Soccer & FIFA regulations as applicable
· Communicate Athlete Readiness to GM and Head Coach:
Attend all daily coach’s meetings; Assist the preparation of the team training sessions; Provide daily updates on player readiness to participate in training and matches
· Individual Athlete High Performance Plans:
Develop individual high-performance plans for athletes; Administer and monitor high performance plans; Work with Head Athletic Trainer on adjusting plans for athletes managing injuries
· Develop and utilize a network of national and international specialists across all aspects of sports science and sports medicine
· Liaise with match officials and appointed medical officers as required
· Prepare annual review of all performance department practices
· Planning and management of the department budget
· Lead the planning and execution of internal and external research projects which underpin future service provisions across all areas of Sports Science and Sports Medicine with training and competing at altitude
· Assists the 1st team staff in team operations
· Assists club in any community relations and promotions for the Colorado Rapids
· Travels as required – all first team games
· Assists the Colorado Rapids General Manager and Head Coach on other duties as assigned
· Direct supervisor to the internal and external medical & training staff and all relevant external consultants
EDUCATION OR FORMAL TRAINING:
· Certified Strength & Conditioning specialist
· Certified Athletic Trainer/Physiotherapist
· BA in Exercise Science/Physiology &/or Biomechanics or similar field
· MA in Exercise Science/Physiology &/or Biomechanics or similar field
· Qualification or training directly related to maximizing the training effect/competitive advantage of competing at altitude.
· US Soccer “A” License or equivalent.
· Minimum of 5 years working in professional soccer environment at senior level