The Director, Social Media, Detroit Tigers oversees the execution of strategic plans to engage new and existing fan populations for the Detroit Tigers utilizing social media, research analysis, and overall brand story and message as well as successfully balance strategic and operational roles. The position uses extreme discretion and may be responsible for sensitive, confidential, and proprietary information. This person will oversee the social media strategy, creation and execution for the team’s social accounts. Other responsibilities include game coverage and other events through social media, monitoring social conversations, and maintaining content calendar.
Ideal characteristics include being an individual that has future-looking mindset and the capability to apply the combination of data, technology, and creativity to drive fan development/growth with organizational support. This Director will focus on growing our iconic brand footprint and cultivating the global fanbase to support our future fan, and organization wide growth.
- Oversee the day-to-day responsibility of presenting the Tigers brand creatively and in an engaging fashion, across all social media channels. Develop the social media strategy, creation and execution for all team social accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.).
- Develop content approval strategy and creation guidelines using the “voice” defined by the Tigers overall brand so that our social media mirrors cohesively with all other marketing
- Demonstrate creativity in presenting the teams brand across social media while being ever mindful of internal sensitivities.
- Cover games, events and other relevant appearances through social media.
- Monitor the daily social conversation of our fans, other brands, teams and influencers to engage with the Tigers fanbase and gauge social media sentiment.
- Manage and grow the social influencer database, including sports blogs and influencers. Work with these influencers to set up contests, promotions and sponsorships of events.
- Manage all presale initiatives for the department working with the digital and analytics team.
- Maintain content calendar to ensure promotion of appropriate team-related content, events, marketing efforts, programs and sponsorship activations.
- Answer inbound fan messages through social media to ensure fast and high-level customer service.
- Remain abreast and informed of emerging social media and industry trends.
- Maintain up to date analytics and assist with creating various reports.
- Assist with monitoring players’ social media accounts.
- Assist with special projects and presentations.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Data and analytics background to make informed data driven decisions for our social media strategy
- Demonstrated leadership in organizing and directing departmental operations; effectively supervising/mentoring personnel; and developing and managing budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a highly creative process, harnessing ideas and resources as needed to enable the creation of innovative omni-channel campaigns with meaningful, measurable results.
- The ability to think long-term about how to evolve the brand as the business continues to grow at aggressive rates - and to plan through the long, medium, and short-term accordingly.
- Excellent presentation and communications skills and ability to create messaging that drives engagement; Plus, the ability to effectively collaborate & execute integrated marketing plans
- Executive presence and comfort in all interactions with colleagues, senior-level management and critical external stakeholders (media, etc.). Demonstrated ability to make sound business judgments in a complex, fast paced environment. And the ability to build credibility and trust by demonstrating high ethical standards. Extreme discretion, as work may involve confidential and sensitive information.
- Project & Time Management
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Business or similar field.
- Minimum of 7+ years of related experience and/or training: equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the Detroit market, including key media contacts
- Irregular and extended hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Normal office environment.
- Frequent visual/auditory attention.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.