The Detroit Tigers are currently seeking a Sr. Full Stack Software Engineer to join our software engineering team within Baseball Operations. You will work on applications that are used by front office personnel, coaches, and players to impact success across all levels of the organization. This role will be a mixture of coding and leadership - expect to build features, help mentor team members, as well as contribute to the process and practice of the team itself. This position will report to the Director, Baseball Systems.
- Work with the engineering and data teams to design, develop and maintain internal software applications.
- Help define and build an efficient and effective software development ecosystem through the introduction/evolution of process and best practices.
- Provide positive, constructive, and actionable guidance for team members through code review and other coaching/mentoring methods.
- Write clean, concise, and efficient code across the entire stack.
- Design and write tests.
- Troubleshoot and debug software issues as they arise.
- Support the integration of baseball analysis into our proprietary tools and applications.
- Other projects or responsibilities as directed by Baseball Operations leadership.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of experience developing web applications in a production environment.
- Experience as a Sr. level engineer (or equivalent). Meaning, within a team, you have:
- Mentored and coached.
- Driven software development related process improvement.
- Helped establish and proliferate the use of best practices.
- Ability to work across the stack, from back end to front end – you don’t have to be an expert at all layers, but you should have experience with each and be very good in at least one of them.
- Professional experience in Java backend development or another object-oriented language.
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop and work with RESTful APIs.
- Experience working with medium-to-large-scale relational databases and SQL.
- Experience with DevOps practices and technologies (CI, CD, containers, etc.)
- Experience deploying and working with web applications in the cloud.
- Ability to work in all phases of the product lifecycle, including requirements-gathering, design, testing, and implementation.
- Eagerness and ability to learn new technologies as necessary.
- Experience embracing dynamic and diverse workloads.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Experience with Angular/AngularJS.
- Experience with Java and the Spring-boot framework.
- Experience with C#.
- Experience working with Azure.
- Understanding of User Experience principles and practices.
- Experience in the sports industry or with sports data, specifically the sport of baseball, baseball-specific data, modern statistical techniques, and sabermetric analysis.
- Office environment.
- The location may be based in Detroit or fully remote.
- Occasional evening, weekend, and holiday hours may be required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.