WHO WE ARE
Founded by Josh Harris and David Blitzer, Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment (HBSE) includes in its portfolio the Philadelphia 76ers, the New Jersey Devils, leading venue Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., the GRAMMY Museum Experience Prudential Center, the Delaware Blue Coats, the Binghamton Devils, the Sixers Innovation Lab Crafted by Kimball, and renowned esports franchise Dignitas. Led by some of the best and brightest minds across a diverse spectrum of industries, HBSE positions itself as one of the most pioneering, innovative global sports and entertainment businesses to date. HBSE also strives to positively impact the local communities in which it operates through the powerful platform of sports.
HBSE offers an energetic work environment built on collaboration, growth, and a quest to excel in everything we do. Prudential Center in downtown Newark, N.J. hosts more than 175 concerts, family shows and special events annually and is the fourth-ranked sports and entertainment venue in the U.S. by Pollstar and Billboard. It is home to the New Jersey Devils, a renowned NHL franchise with three Stanley Cup championships and a proud, passionate fan base. Prudential Center is also home to the brand-new GRAMMY Museum Experience, the first and only of its kind on the east coast.
The Philadelphia 76ers organization is one of the most storied franchises in American sports, led by some of the best and brightest minds across a diverse spectrum of industries, HBSE positions itself as one of the most pioneering, innovative global sports and entertainment businesses to date. The 76ers have attracted the industry’s top leadership talent from the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, MLS, UFC and NCAA, resulting in one of the most exciting, rewarding, and dynamic work environments within the sports industry. The 76ers offer a best-in-class workplace culture built on collaboration, growth, and a quest to excel in everything we do.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
At HBSE, we engage, represent and reflect diverse voices of employees, players fans and communities. We are dedicated to hiring the best talent that is reflective of where we live, work and play – across all groups and levels; supporting and developing every employee to reach their potential; and creating an inclusive environment that allows team members to bring their true authentic selves to work.
Position Summary: The Mental Performance Coordinator will work in the Philadelphia 76ers Performance Department. The main action line will be focus on coaching staff counseling and support. Other roles will be related, but not limited to training and development of the psychological skills of the players, detection and prevention of risk factors (players and staff) and internal research. She/he will contribute to have more knowledge for the organization, to help coaches and players more and better, to get to know coaches and players better, and contribute to a greater port and social success.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Coaching staff supporting and counseling:
- Team Focus: offer information about the team (group dynamics, from Coach to Team; always the team vision or player behaviors that affect the Team
- Provide psychological tools to use on- and off- the court (player-team)
- Support in player's goals definition
- Adaption of new player
- Staff Cohesion
- Conflict Management
- Long-term injury management support
- Provide development coaches with tools for each type of player
- Development of players' psychological skills
- Assist the player in adapting to his role (or new role)
- Improve Team Cohesion
- Values, Principles (aligned with Sixers values, Entity values and culture)
- Correspondence of personal values with those of the organization
- Optimize psychological aspects and skills that influence performance
- Prevent and minimize risk situation
- Detect and intervene in the needs of the family and the player, which may be interfering with their optimal performance and well-being (coordination with Clinical Psychologist)
- Promote personal development in both life habits and dual careers (curriculum, diversification of you as a person)
- Habits, time management, self-knowledge, values, mindfulness…
- Prevention and Detection of risk factors
- Collaboration with Clinical Psychologist
- Overall performance and wellbeing of the team
- Oversee and facilitate referral to specialists and third parties for management and treatment as necessary.
- To help the team to perform more and better. It is not only focused on weaknesses, or not only when there is a difficulty.
- To enhance resources (strong points) that are already available.
- To provide resources, tools and psychological skills based on the specific situations.
- To build a systematic approach how to work with staff and players.
- Participate in regular meetings with the performance team, medical, player development and coaching staff to collect and provide information allowing proper monitoring and operation of psychology/mental performance training programs.
- Practice and Games observation. Presence not always required. Observe group and coaching staff dynamics
- Maintain a comprehensive database of work conducted with athletes and coaches and ensure that appropriate reports are provided to the medical and performance team and other key individuals in a format that is compatible with the franchises systems and processes.
- To ensure that all records, reports and files are properly storage according to the management system, and staff understands appropriate access, and limits, to access and use the information.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the mental skills program with reference to performance-related goals (for coaching staff, and players when required).
- Provide regular and timely updates to Performance Director on the mental performance goals and player mindset.
- Design a program that oversees and can be applicable in the G-League team
- To stay up to date in the latest research and evidence-based information on her/his filed of expertise.
- Promote and develop internal research. Collect information, generate a database, have objective information, which helps to: deepen the knowledge of the profiles of coaches, players who are in line with the values of the club, deepen the knowledge of techniques and tools implemented, generate scientific knowledge of the mental performance program
- Presence in practice sessions, games and traveling with the team is not required at all times.
- Will be expected to work outside of the normal working hours to ensure that all day-to-day responsibilities are met.
- Coordinate with all members of a multi-disciplinary team in the delivery of performance service (ecosystem).
- The Mental Performance coordinator works for the institution: he/she is above adherence to people (doesn’t work for a player or the coach).
- Trusted and discreet professional
- Respect for the confidentiality of the work (deontological code).
- He knows and plays her/his role (work behind the scenes. He/she is a support figure like the doctor, the PT, S&C...).
- Prudence (knowing the scope and not wanting to extrapolate; e.g., doesn’t make technical decision)
- Be a team player.
- Excellent communication skills.
- To know not to be there all the time (to allow self-evaluation to develop). Its function is to generate capacities and autonomy in people and institutions
- Demonstrated passion for basketball and familiarity with basketball rules and terminology
- Be a critical thinker, eager to both give and receive feedback
- Have a growth mentality, eager to learn and develop within our team
- Be team-oriented, focused on team results not individual accomplishment.
- Embrace a dynamic, changing, diversified workload
QUALIFICATIONS (educational, experience and basic knowledge requirements):
- Master's Degree in Sport Psychology or Clinical/Counselling Psychology
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology Certified Consultant - CMPC®.
- 5+ years of experience in the applied oriented position, with working with Professional Sport team athletes, and/or Olympic Athletes.
- Experience in basketball with a preference of experience at NBA, NFL, 1st Division Team Sports level preferred.
- Experience with Performance in other fields (musicians, executives, military) preferred.
- Experience with population at mental health risk and/or with mental disorders preferred.
- PhD Degree preferred, in Sport Psychology or Clinical/Counselling Psychology with focused specialization in Sport Psychology