WHO WE ARE:
Founded by Josh Harris and David Blitzer, Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment (HBSE) includes in its portfolio the Philadelphia 76ers, the New Jersey Devils, leading venue Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., the GRAMMY Museum Experience Prudential Center, the Delaware Blue Coats, the Binghamton Devils, the Sixers Innovation Lab Crafted by Kimball, and renowned esports franchise Dignitas. Led by some of the best and brightest minds across a diverse spectrum of industries, HBSE positions itself as one of the most pioneering, innovative global sports and entertainment businesses to date. HBSE also strives to positively impact the local communities in which it operates through the powerful platform of sports.
HBSE offers an energetic work environment built on collaboration, growth, and a quest to excel in everything we do. Prudential Center in downtown Newark, N.J. hosts more than 175 concerts, family shows and special events annually and is the fourth-ranked sports and entertainment venue in the U.S. by Pollstar and Billboard. It is home to the New Jersey Devils, a renowned NHL franchise with three Stanley Cup championships and a proud, passionate fan base. Prudential Center is also home to the brand-new GRAMMY Museum Experience, the first and only of its kind on the east coast.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
At HBSE, we engage, represent and reflect diverse voices of employees, players fans and communities. We are dedicated to hiring the best talent that is reflective of where we live, work and play – across all groups and levels; supporting and developing every employee to reach their potential; and creating an inclusive environment that allows team members to bring their true authentic selves to work.
The Senior Manager Entertainment Finance is expected to be an established and successful entertainment professional with a proven track record of hosting large scale successful events, managing the financials of such events through revenue optimization and expense efficiencies, and facilitating effective communication across all affected departments and stakeholders.
The candidate should have knowledge of the inner workings of the live sports & entertainment industry, frequently attending trade events and conferences and often participating in networking opportunities.
The candidate will support the EVP Entertainment (as well as Finance and executive management teams) to assess the strategic & financial impact of events, participating in negotiating and finalizing deals, ensuring successful implementation, developing new event opportunities through relationships and industry knowledge, and booking traditional events as time allows.
For all non-tenant events, he/she will be the liaison to the client (e.g., promoter, manager, agent) and responsible for managing all event logistics with a number of different departments within the organization to promote efficiency, communication and cost savings.
To be successful in this role, he/she must be entrepreneurial, self-motivated, even tempered, hard-working, organized, creative and enthusiastic. This position reports to the SVP, Financial Planning and Analysis.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
Assess the strategic & financial impact of events, providing financial and analytical support to EVP Entertainment, the booking team, and Finance;
- Develop and prepare event pro-formas, budgets and forecasts
- Manage all event settlements
- Identify and evaluate potential revenue opportunities for events (i.e., revenue maximization & optimization) and risk factors, as well as mitigation solutions;
- Participate in the preparation of Programming department’s annual budget;
- Create templates and processes for event settlements, event flash reports and weekly event revenue reports;
- Oversee financial settlement for all non-tenant events;
- Report and interpret event results to senior management
- Develop ad hoc financial models & analyses as needed;
- Serve as the liaison to the client (e.g., promoter, manager, agent) and manage all event logistics for confirmed events, facilitating communication between the client and Prudential Center event management staff, and all other affected internal departments.
- Determine event viability and makes recommendations to the EVP Entertainment & executive and event management team.
- Participate in the negotiation and finalization of deals.
- Build & develop relationships within the industry and participate in the creation and development of new, innovative opportunities that can be accretive to DAE’s overall portfolio and analyze areas in which to pursue new build/buy/partner opportunities.
- Work with Legal department to maintain contract compliance, tracking, execution of agreements, insurance, invoicing, deposits, etc.
The qualifications listed below represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a concentration in Business, Finance and/or Corporate Strategy;
- Master’s degree a plus;
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a financial analysis and/or corporate strategy role;
- Live Entertainment and/or Event Management industry experience strongly preferred
- Must have proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and advanced working knowledge of Excel is a must;
- Must possess comprehensive understanding of financial analysis with ability to assess and communicate strategic implications;
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment and discretion in the creation and handling of sensitive and confidential materials;
- Must be able to lead complex negotiations with clients and comfortable in sophisticated business situations;
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills: must be comfortable with engaging in a variety of different communicative modes (verbal, non-verbal, and written) and being attuned to others through strong active listening skills;
- Must have the ability to persuade others, build consensus and work in a team environments
- Must have exceptional interpersonal and problem solving skills;
- Must be able to effectively prioritize, organize, and manage multiple projects simultaneously with varying deadlines;
- Must have the ability to interact, develop, and maintain relationships with individuals at all levels both internal and external;
- Must be a flexible and reliable team player, both within own department and within company as a whole;
- Must have the ability to demonstrate uncompromised judgment and discretion with regard to interpersonal relationships;
- Must have a strong sense of self-awareness and emotional intelligence;
- Must be self-directed, resourceful, and able to work independently;
- Must be able to identify problems, their sources, and their potential solutions while continuing to successfully conduct day-to-day operations without interruption;
- Must have a strong command of reasoned, measured decision-making based upon analyzing the pros and cons of each potential decision to be made.
Travel Requirements Occasional Traveler (less than 15% travel): On some occasions, trips may require air travel and/or overnight stay away from home for one or more nights. Travel likely to include industry conferences, events & music festivals.
Physical Demands This position requires the ability to lift up to 10 pounds.
Work Environment The VP Entertainment Strategy will be based in the offices at Prudential Center.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Required: As of the first day of employment, you must be able to demonstrate proof that you are fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against COVID-19, unless you are granted a medical or religious exemption in accordance with Company policy.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.