Digital Managing Editor with Atlanta Falcons in Flowery Branch · GA
The managing editor will act as a mentor to the digital media producer and beat writer, ensuring that they are consistently developing as professionals. This position will also work with the Sr. Director of Digital Strategy to ensure that the editorial content strategy on the site meets the interests of readers and grows our audiences, and will suggest ideas, assign articles and keep the staff on schedule when needed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for consistent quality of daily written content on AtlantaFalcons.com
- Lead the development of the football voice of AtlantaFalcons.com
- Strong and engaging writing skills with the ability to add perspective with opinion pieces
- Leading opinion personality for AtlantaFalcons.com in videos and podcast content, including FOX 5 appearances
- Creates regular written content, including columns, that generate interest and traffic to AtlantaFalcons.com
- Expected to be front and center on AtlantaFalcons.com as a personality that fans connect with
- Needs to have an entrepreneurial mindset to creating content series that can be sponsorable
- Responsible for processes, practices and frequency that lead to daily user habits, including morning mail bag
- Manages the editorial calendar and ensures AtlantaFalcons.com reports on topics of interest to its readers
- Works with digital media producer and beat reporter to establish football credibility with readers
- Establishes strong working relationships with football coaches and personnel staff
- Meets regularly with Falcons Digital Operations and Director of Digital UX to ensure cross-departmental awareness and support
- Works closely with Falcons Football and Brand Communications for information sharing, accuracy, and dissemination of editorial content.
- Possess a deep understanding and knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) best practices and headline writing
- Charged with professional development of digital media producer, beat reporter all staff contributors
- Evaluate site and content performance metrics regularly to ensure growth of key analytics over time
- Work directly with video and photo teams to create multimedia content experiences that showcase a holistic content approach across O&O properties
- Ensure article and website content is optimized with relevant and related links and multimedia elements
- Determines the importance of articles and content hierarchy on the front page in partnership with Digital Operations and the Director of Digital UX
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Minimum 7 years of experience in journalism or related field, particularly in football
- Bachelors Degree
- Ability to manage staff in the on-time completion of projects
- Experience posting content in website CMS tools
- Proficient in Microsoft word or similar word processor
- Strong writing and storytelling ability
- Graphics software, video and audio editing knowledge a plus
- Professional development of editorial staff
Do you have experience writing NFL opinion articles?
Have you had to work with editorial teams to create content plans centered on growing audiences and generating revenue?
Do you have experience evaluating SEO data and social referrals to build editorial strategies?