Director of Communications, Sonoma Raceway
Sonoma Raceway is a key location in the Speedway Motorsports nationwide network of entertainment venues.
Our company maintains a consistent focus on four core principles:
- Take care of teammates
- Be known for remarkable events
- Positively impact our community
- Profitably improve
The Director of Communications/Media Relations will be responsible for developing effective and consistent messaging and communications strategies, and will work with all forms of media, including press releases and digital campaigns, print materials, social media, audio, video and more. He/She will publicize the raceway’s major events and activities, and while also promoting the Sonoma Raceway brand locally and nationally as a tourism destination.
The Director of Communications will report to the Executive Vice President/General Manager of Sonoma Raceway, and will also support the communications team for Las Vegas Motor Speedway and other Speedway Motorsports tracks as needed.
He/She will be expected to have a GLOBE mentality. GLOBE stands for Generously Lending Our Best Efforts. This is done by holding themselves and their teammates accountable for taking our best practices “the last mile” – optimizing them for maximum value to all stakeholders while sharing insights on how to improve our company.
- Oversee the day-to-day communications and create a cohesive communications strategy.
- Work closely with the EVP/GM and VP Marketing on the overall branding of the Raceway, with the goal of projecting a positive company image to the public.
- Develop an overall, annual communications plan including but not limited to branding, messaging, community involvement, etc. that keeps Sonoma Raceway top of mind across multiple markets.
- Work with the EVP/GM on plan to leverage new facility improvements and create appeal to new partners and consumers, and help establish Sonoma Raceway as a luxury brand in the Sonoma/Napa county landscape.
- Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships within the national and local media and publicity community.
- Gather and disseminate timely information to media and staff, including a more robust internal communications plan for staff and event staff.
- Work with national series sanctioning bodies and driver PR representatives to secure drivers and create events, including media events/press conferences, leading up to/through race weekends.
- Work with NASCAR on building and promoting motorsports, the NASCAR brand and Sonoma Raceway brand on the West Coast.
- Serve as main point of contact for series (NASCAR, NHRA, etc.) PR needs.
- Oversee press release schedule, proofing and writing assignments for raceway’s press releases, publications, motorsports pages, special sections, etc., ensuring quality control of all information released.
- Manage editorial content for all raceway publications (e.g. media guide, event programs, Pit Report, special sections, etc.).
- Manage/support/create editorial content for raceway social and digital channels.
- Create proactive crisis management plan around local issues like drought management, fire mitigation/support, earthquake readiness, roadway/traffic management etc.
- Communicate crisis plans to internal and external audiences when applicable, cultivating an environment of readiness and alertness.
- Support EVP/GM in establishing memberships in state, county and area organizations such as tourism boards, chambers of commerce, business alliances and area sports groups; cultivate relationships with peers throughout the local and greater Bay Area markets
- Support the EVP/GM on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts.
- Support/publicize community focused initiatives, including, but not limited to Food Drive, Blood Drive, Toy/Holiday efforts for children, Green/sustainability, Distracted Driving, etc.
- Work closely with Speedway Children’s Charities (SCC) director on charity events, as well as the management of the Sonoma chapter Board of Trustees.
- Act as a media spokesperson on behalf of the company and address questions and complaints.
- Help develop, maintain and reconcile annual communications budget.
Skills and Specifications
- Leader with the ability to inspire and motivate colleagues throughout the company.
- Self-motivator, confident, energetic and creative.
- Effective communicator.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize appropriately.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office and Microsoft Excel.
- Well-versed in social media and communications technologies.
Education and Qualification
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or communications.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of marketing or related experience, with at least three years’ experience managing people.
- Experience in stakeholder/community engagement.
- Extensive list of media contacts.
Candidates will be asked to provide a resume, professional references and writing/content samples when applying for the position.