Communications Manager, Charlotte Motor Speedway
Charlotte Motor Speedway is the flagship facility in the Speedway Motorsports nationwide network of entertainment venues. Speedway Motorsports maintains a consistent focus on four core principles:
- Take care of our teammates
- Be known for remarkable events
- Make a positive impact on the community
- Profitably improve our business and operations
Known as “America’s Home for Racing” Charlotte Motor Speedway (CMS), is one of the country’s most diverse motorsports entertainment complexes, hosting more than 100 days and nights of entertainment annually including two NASCAR Cup Series event weekends, two NHRA race weekends at zMAX Dragway, the World of Outlaws World Finals at The Dirt Track, two AutoFairs and one of America’s most spectacular drive-thru light shows, Speedway Christmas. Built more than 60 years ago, Charlotte Motor Speedway is located 12 miles northeast of downtown Charlotte in Concord, N.C. In addition to its aggressive entertainment schedule, CMS hosts more than 1,200 driving school, trade show, television/film commercials and corporate events throughout the year. CMS is a wholly owned subsidiary of Speedway Motorsports, a leading marketer, promoter and sponsor of motorsports entertainment in the United States.
The Communications Manager will be based at Charlotte Motor Speedway and report to the Senior Director of Communications at CMS, primarily supporting public relations, content creation, media relations and event publicity for CMS and other Speedway Motorsports facilities as required.
The ideal candidate will adopt a GLOBE mentality. GLOBE stands for Generously Lending Our Best Efforts. This is done by holding themselves and their teammates accountable for taking our best practices “the last mile” – optimizing them for maximum value to all of our stakeholders while sharing insights on how to improve our company. The ideal candidate will also be a productive and proactive self-starter who is passionate about his/her duties and willing to put forth the extra effort to achieve excellence.
- Generate ideas, content and execute imaginative publicity plans through multimedia storytelling
- Produce video content to support public relations and social media efforts
- Lead publicity planning and execution for AutoFairs, World of Outlaws, Summer Shootout, Speedway Christmas and other events as assigned
- Social media – work closely with social media lead to support/assist development of social planning and content creation
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Communications to best position CMS with all media outlets on local, regional and national levels
- Aggressively pitch media outlets for coverage to promote events and build facility brand during both event and non-event times
- Support NHRA/NASCAR publicity planning, execution and event media management
- Develop and implement both short-term and long-term media strategies
- Corporate Leadership/Support - maintain an active role on Speedway Motorsports’ communications team and improve overall corporate communication, effectiveness and efficiencies
- Write press releases, coordinate press events and manage media distribution lists
- Coordinate NASCAR and NHRA Media Center operations (manage event week staff, media center schedules/set-up; media relations and sponsor-related support)
- Manage photo archive system and coordinate event photographers
- Recruit/manage communications department interns
- Assist in management and approval of media credentials
- Three-to-five years of experience generating content and/or publicity in media relations, communications, public relations or media fields
- Ability to film, edit, produce video content
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite and AP Style
- Diversity in various mediums including video, photo, social engagement, web, etc.
- Demonstrate experience in designing and implementing successful PR campaigns
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent verbal / written / content communications skills
- Strong analytics and project management skills
- Strategic mindset
- Ability to work nights, weekends
- Position will require occasional travel through Speedway Motorsports workshare program to other facilities to support other events
All candidates must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- Cover letter
- (3) Professional References
- Publicity Portfolio including writing and video production examples
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.